Maybe It's time to stop shopping?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit yard sales 2 weeks before irma hit Florida. Did not find much in the South Florida heat. Until I went to a consignment store. Game on! I found some rings that were sterling and turquoise but they were priced kind of high. I mentioned to the owner that I was interested but not for that price. She directed my attention to a case separate from everything else full of Indian jewelry. Full is an understatement. 490 pcs, spent $2500. I've been running .99 auctions. Tons of research involved. So many are signed. I'm pretty overwhelmed with it all. Have been averaging $18+ each per listing. Have not even touched the better stuff. And there's a whole box full of men's rings all signed.

(Maybe though this was a sign, I'm not sure that there's going to be a lot of yard sales in this area for a long time. A lot of people are hurting and have lost everything. I don't want to come off as bragging, 10% + of everything I sell goes to charity locally since irma. And my family has spent time volunteering this week helping families. The stuff is nice but my heart breaks for my hometown and surrounding area's. ) yesterday we went and picked up food to feed 3000 people. A Ford F150 and aToyota tundra. the beds were filled with barbecue pork, brisket and green beans. I wish I had pictures of evacuating Florida and leaving everything to the unknown. Again the stuff is nice but there's so much more to life. Sorry for having a moment. In the middle of my own post.... It's been a CRAZY week.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505889313.862900.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505889396.659533.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505889469.231882.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505889668.057007.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505889668.057007.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 70

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great rings. But more importantly, those are some awesome things you are doing for your neighbors and community. My honest opinion would be to give shopping a break and concentrate on rebuilding with your community like you already have started. It sounds like you have plenty of inventory to keep things going on eBay in your downtime. You and your family are doing great things that at the end of the day, are worth much more than $$. Keep up the good work!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome score! you always come up with some interesting bargins

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
You are very fortunate and have much to be thankful for! Consider how other local families have fared this disaster. It's great that you are donating your time and money.

However, there's an old saying, "When there is blood in the streets, buy property." This is actually probably a very good time to go shopping, as people and businesses will need to free up cash, and the purchases you make will help keep money circulating locally. Garage sales not so much, I'm thinking more in terms of inventory reductions and clean-outs. My main business is scrap and salvage, and the opportunities in that sector must be tremendous.

For most items local sales will be terrible for some time. The exception being basic household necessities and equipment like power tools and generators. Selling these items at any kind of a markup is looked upon VERY poorly by pretty much everyone. Last time there were widespread power outages from a storm in my area someone bought out all of the generator plugs at Home Dumpo and was selling them in the parking lot for $50 each. He made a lot of money but absolutely 0 friends that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread