License Plates

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Sales and the swap meet have been slow for me lately, and with school starting, I've toned back on how much I go out.
I drove home the other day to visit my parents, and when I was getting out of the car, my neighbor approached me and asked, "Hey, are you still selling things on eBay?"
I told him of course, and then he asked me if I wanted to sell some license plates for him, and we'd go 50/50 on the sales.
He brought me into his back yard, locked in a safe, he pulls out this small box with 11 plates. All from 1907-1909 ( I think).
I started doing some research and see that these have the potential to bring in a lot of money. The NJ plates also have maryland plates on the reverse side, something that I haven't seen before and couldn't find any research on.
I wanted to ask, does anyone know anything about the red ILL plates? Possible years? They are in pristine condition. Also, in the picture, the plates under the ILL plates. I think they are CA plates, but I couldn't find anything similar online when looking for them.
Any help is appreciated! I'll let you all know what they go for.
unnamed.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The California plate looks like the images of Cali plates during the years 1905-1913. (Starting with 1914, another design was established.) Based on what is shown below, your Cali plate is from 1913. Please note that 'vanity plates' do exist; copies of originals.
Here is one onliners opinion from several years ago:
" [SIZE=-1]By Neil Marthedal on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 09:45 pm:[/SIZE]I have an older California DMV booklet that has all the information you need to know about the numeric series of "Pre-State" license plates covering the years 1905 through 1913. If you are interested in just the year 1913, the approximate numeric series was 90661 through 122444. Contact me if you would like more information on California Pre-State Plates."
Don........

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matching sets in that condition can bring good money!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread