'Tis the season

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a fun experience I wanted to share with you all. A few years ago I bought an aluminum christmas tree at an estate sale in Baltimore, cost me a whopping $5. I think I learned that they were valuable here, so thanks to whoever shared that! It sat in storage for a bit, until I dug it up this year while rearranging things. Figured it was the right time of year, so I listed it last night. Literally within 1 minute it sells, for $100 + $27 shipping to Texas. I get a message from the buyer asking something about the tree with his phone number attached, so I texted him the answer. A long text conversation turned into a phone call, and I learned a lot about aluminum christmas trees!

So, it turns out that there were a myriad of brands producing these in the 50's and 60's, and mine was one of the less common companies. The real kicker is that this was the first year or manufacture for this particular company, and there was all kinds of weird design issues that they then fixed the next year, so for christmas tree collectors this is an interesting specimen. Turns out the guy is a big collector, he owns every evergleam tree ever made except for 3, and is writing a book about them. He said he used to have one like mine but sold it on to another collector and regretted it, so he has been looking for another ever since. Slightly kicking myself for not running it as an auction, but I made a good profit and made the guy's day, so I'm happy.

As the old adage goes, you learn something new every day. One of the reasons I love doing this! Happy hunting everyone!

ebay13848.JPG ebay13852.JPG

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember when my parents 1st sat one of those up in the mid 60's. Since it is way shorter than a normal tree, my dad ended up building a small table for it. If you set one of these up, make sure you have the light with the rotating color wheel. It sure did look pretty in the picture window.

th (10).jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'd have run it in auction format, but hey - you still made a nice profit.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold a couple over the years. Light wheels too. We had one in the early 70's when I was a kid too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread