Garage/Estate sale score on a Wednesday, Gold Silver, watches, costume

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was browsing cl for garage sales for tmrw and Fri, and spotted one a few miles from my house. Normally, the sellers will put an email or phone as contact. In this case, there was neither. I decided to take a ride and pretend that I was confirming the location for the actual day. To my surprise and good fortune, the garage sale door was opened, and a husband and wife team were getting things ready for the sale. I struck up a conversation, and I asked them if I could see the watches that they were advertising. There were a lot of women's watches and a few men's. We agreed on a price, and since I did not have any cash on me, I drove to the nearest bank and obtained the funds. When I get there, and had paid and about to leave, the lady asked me if I was interested in jewelry. She brings a really nice jewelry box, and I quickly spotted some gold. She tells me that she does not want to sell in pieces, but everything all at once. I'm thinking, lovely, and asked her how much for the whole jewelry chest. She tells me that She wants $75 for everything, and I countered at $50, and we settled at $60. My mistake at this point is not getting enough cash out for this surprise sale the first time I went to the bank, so I quickly went to the bank, and obtained the funds to pay.

I never imagined that there would be so much 14kt gold, some rings and earring are what I believe to be diamonds as well. I will need to confirm. There were a few costume pieces in the chest, additionally. This was a very fortunate day for me, probably my best jewelry score since Saturday when I scored my Omega listed on another post. As always, thank you for your comments and feedback, I appreciate it.

Artslinger Score1.jpg Score2.jpg Score3.jpg Score4.jpg Score5.jpg Score6.jpg Score7.jpg Score8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez, is it stolen? :icon_scratch:

Yes by me! :-) Remember, they are having an Estate/garage sale. If stolen, even my dog would have enough sense in not advertising it. Scores are out there my friend, good fortune landed on me this time. All the best. :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UM Yeah. Yes please Looks like a ton of gold. You would have to do a lot of panning to find that otherwise :) I love it when they have gold in a zip lock marked 14K gold and sell it to you for a quarter. Some people. I bought a dollar for a quarter once. Makes no sense How much for this ol dollar? Give me a quarter. OK

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a haul and yes, I'm just a wee tad jealous! Great job on jumping on that add and finding a great deal.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling you Goldslinger from now on! Incredible!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul and luck was all around you that day. I live by the scouting creed myself now for years. Always "Be prepared". ATM? twice no less. Lucky (again) for you no one else came along on your second venture to the bank and offered full price or more for that jewelry. It happened to me once.

If I spotted one piece of gold in there, I wouldn't have dickered a penny. $75 would have been handed over before a second look was taken inside the box by the seller. My luck they would have taken a second look and seen everything in there that wasn't supposed to be getting sold at the sale, oops I didn't realize it was that box. lol. That's the luck I have with jewelry.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing haul!

I'm with diggummup on this one, why were you not carrying cash on you, at least a little? I would have bought that immediately, without negotiating on price, and been on my way.

Next time raid the petty cash drawer/cookie jar before you head out scouting. Always be ready to deal!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing haul!

I'm with diggummup on this one, why were you not carrying cash on you, at least a little? I would have bought that immediately, without negotiating on price, and been on my way.

Next time raid the petty cash drawer/cookie jar before you head out scouting. Always be ready to deal!

Yes, it was definitely a huge mistake on my part. So many things can go wrong, other buyers, and probably the number one of them all, buyers remorse. I was not expecting to find the garage door open, it was supposed to be just a drive by, and so cash was not a preoccupation, as this was a Wednesday post for a Friday sale. Lessen learned, thankfully not in a bad way. Thanks to all.

artslinger

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was definitely a huge mistake on my part. So many things can go wrong, other buyers, and probably the number one of them all, buyers remorse. I was not expecting to find the garage door open, it was supposed to be just a drive by, and so cash was not a preoccupation, as this was a Wednesday post for a Friday sale. Lessen learned, thankfully not in a bad way. Thanks to all.

artslinger
Deals are like gold, they are where you find them, and when you do, you always need to be prepared because they don't last. You got LUCKY. I have a special pocket in my wallet that I call "the rat hole" Filled with a quantity of cash sufficient to swoop up most any deal deemed a steal. It gets spent on nothing else but..

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I never try and dicker down what I know is already a steal of a deal, it makes for bad Karma. If they didn't do their homework, set the price, don't ask me what it is worth, and then offer it for a steal I buy it for their price. It's not on my head and I can sleep at night. I also have the "bad" habit of carrying 2 to 3K on me almost always and I have a CC permit and exercise it. We each have our own ideas on this I guess. Nice pick, but I wouldn't have negotiated the price of an already great deal.

T.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never try and dicker down what I know is already a steal of a deal, it makes for bad Karma. If they didn't do their homework, set the price, don't ask me what it is worth, and then offer it for a steal I buy it for their price. It's not on my head and I can sleep at night. I also have the "bad" habit of carrying 2 to 3K on me almost always and I have a CC permit and exercise it. We each have our own ideas on this I guess. Nice pick, but I wouldn't have negotiated the price of an already great deal.

T.
My belief is that I don't put a gun to anyone's head, I don't twist their arm, and if you don't ask the answer will always be "no". Who is to say that the ten, twenty, or thirty people after me wouldn't have offered $40 bucks for everything if I wouldn't have taken it? I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

artslinger

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am like the OP I never carry cash, I end up buying stuff I really do not want. Going to the bank makes me think about what I am buying. Yes I may loose out on a couple of deals but that is ok with me. Normally I will ask the seller to put aside what I want while I go get the money and most have no problem with it.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
If I have to hit an ATM for a higher than expected buy, I always give them a $20.00 deposit to hold it till I get back.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry cash and never bargain. $5 or $10 is irrelevant on a $500 or $1000 item.
I have sold things right out from under people who were trying to make a great deal better, sold it right it front of them to someone with my price in cash in their hand, and I don’t ever want that ever to happen to me.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry cash and never bargain. $5 or $10 is irrelevant on a $500 or $1000 item.
I have sold things right out from under people who were trying to make a great deal better, sold it right it front of them to someone with my price in cash in their hand, and I don’t ever want that ever to happen to me.

Same. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread