Garage sale find this morning, vintage muzzle loader from the 1800s?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up today really early before work to hit a comm sale. I scored this rifle, unfortunately is so rusty that I can't find any writing to determine the maker. As always, any thoughts, comments, and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Artslinger gun1.jpg gun2.jpg gun3.jpg gun4.jpg gun5.jpg gun6.jpg gun7.jpg gun8.jpg

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make a great wall hanger. It amazes me what you can find in a garage sale.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat score!! Nice goin. That would make a neat refurb project. Maybe a little electrolysis?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find and I agree that it would be a great restoration project. In the process of restoring the rifle, you might find some Maker's marks.

Frank

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Hope you can get an i.d. on that. I'm sure some gun guy's (or gal's) will chime in. Good luck.

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a Pennsylvania Kentucky long rifle.

Curly maple stock?

Stock and trigger guard shape seem to be Huntingdon County PA.

Just typing out loud.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a Pennsylvania Kentucky long rifle.

Curly maple stock?

Stock and trigger guard shape seem to be Huntingdon County PA.

Just typing out loud.

Thank you. Yes Curly Maple stock. I'll review the information for that style. Thanks to all for all the comments and recommendations. I appreciate them.

artslinger

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great find. I agree with Leadnbrass that it looks like a Pennsylvania or Kentucky long riffle. I think it is 18th century and originally a flintlock. It was very common in the 1840's or so to be switched over to percussion cap. I personally wouldn't touch a thing on it as far as cleaning or restoration. That's 230+ years of patina and removing it could lessen the value. A beautiful piece IMO and I would be proud to own it! Great job finding it.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Usually that barrel will be marked. You should be able to remove the stock holding pins and the screw at the top of the tang. Barrels are usually marked on the top, back towards the hammer, or in the same area on the bottom of the barrel. That was a tip from my brother who is a gunsmith and collector, and I just found the maker on the bottom of the barrel of one of them, obscured by the stock. Sometimes they are marked on the side, usually again back toward the hammer.

The lock may be marked on the broad part beneath the hammer strike, or on the inside plate of the lock. I rehab a lot of old flintlocks and percussions, and I don't think it hurts them at all to soak the metal parts in either Hoppe's Gun Oil or Break Free for a week or so, and scour off the rust. I use a plastic scouring pad first, and sometimes will go with very fine sandpaper if its not hurting the metal. Leave the wood alone, or you can use a slightly damp microfiber cloth on it. Sometimes you can polish it up with a little linseed oil on a rag. Don't do anything to the scratches and dents in the wood as they are part of a gun's history.

BTW - that wood is great!

Looking at the photos again - that lock certainly looks like a later replacement, possibly because it may have converted from a flintlock. It looks like a larger lock was originally there, and that was filled in with a wood filler a long time ago. Fairly cheap lock, I think. However, if you find a "D Crockett" or "D Boone" anywhere, please email me first.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all once again for the feedback, recommendations, and guidance. I truly appreciate it. I'll inspect it again, and focus on the areas that OldSowBreath mentions. :-)

artslinger

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lock may be marked on the broad part beneath the hammer strike, or on the inside plate of the lock. I rehab a lot of old flintlocks and percussions, and I don't think it hurts them at all to soak the metal parts in either Hoppe's Gun Oil or Break Free for a week or so, and scour off the rust. I use a plastic scouring pad first, and sometimes will go with very fine sandpaper if its not hurting the metal. Leave the wood alone, or you can use a slightly damp microfiber cloth on it. Sometimes you can polish it up with a little linseed oil on a rag. Don't do anything to the scratches and dents in the wood as they are part of a gun's history.

BTW - that wood is great!:

You're right. After looking a little closer at the pics, I see the heavy rust on some of the metal parts. It'll be a really nice looking piece after a bit of rehab.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that wood is incredible! I found a Maynard at a yard sale earlier this year. I agree above Separate the stock from the metal before you do any rust removal. and do not touch the wood, its fantastic. Try to find out what it is before you go for the derusting. If it is special, let an expert restore it

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here it is again, another item that I wish could talk and tell us it's story, I'd enjoy just sitting there to listen.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all once again for the feedback, recommendations, and guidance. I truly appreciate it. I'll inspect it again, and focus on the areas that OldSowBreath mentions. :-)

artslinger

OldSowBreath is correct on where the markings should be. However, if old Gunsmith made, then all bets are off but there should be some identifying marks. Also, when you remove the barrel, lock plate and trigger assembly from the stock, check out the whole inside of the stock for the Maker's initials or name including under the metal butt plate.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread