Japanese Crate

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this Japanese crate that was originally used for shipping jars of jelly. It's wood with a galvanized steel lining, and has neat graphics and the original customs inspection label.

It appears to be vintage 1950s or 1960s. The label is marked "EDITION OF 1 NOV 58 IS OBSOLETE".

The price was right. It came with a bunch of other stuff at a yard sale where everything was free!

Attachments

• crate1.JPG
    crate1.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 105
  • crate2.JPG
    crate2.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 88
  • crate3.JPG
    crate3.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 160
  • crate4.JPG
    crate4.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 86
  • crate5.JPG
    crate5.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
I

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates it! People I've shown in person have also liked it.

It's a tough item to price, particularly here on the East Coast. I'm thinking of asking $100 at the flea market, as I think it'd be a quick sell at $50. And if it doesn't sell, it will draw people over to see my other items. Every time I set up there I like to bring something that no other vendor has.

It's not particularly large or heavy, so selling it on eBay is also a possibility.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal inside leads me to believe it's an old Japanese tea box.
Search ebay with that term, there was one for $250, (no idea how long it may have been listed).
I paid $60 once, for one. It was being sold by a teacher who had been over there 3 or 4 yrs teaching, and was stuffed full of origami papers, folding tools, and instruction books (all in Japanese, of course, lol).
Needless to say, I've yet to undertake my origami projects....... :laughing7:

Good luck and cool find. :icon_thumright:

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
It's a box for tea. The writing says it won the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries award.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal inside leads me to believe it's an old Japanese tea box.
Search ebay with that term, there was one for $250, (no idea how long it may have been listed).
I paid $60 once, for one. It was being sold by a teacher who had been over there 3 or 4 yrs teaching, and was stuffed full of origami papers, folding tools, and instruction books (all in Japanese, of course, lol).
Needless to say, I've yet to undertake my origami projects....... :laughing7:

Good luck and cool find. :icon_thumright:

I like folding paper...as long as there are pictures of dead presidents on it.

OP
OP
I

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info everyone. It is definitely a tea box. I will let you know when it sells.

That one listed on the bay is in much better condition, but mine has vintage "character" to it and one can tell it was actually used for importing into the U.S.

OP
OP
I

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I took it to the flea market once. It was a cold day and the sun never came out, so not many buyers. No one even looked at it.

Instead of storing it all winter I sent it with a bunch of other stuff to an auction house. It didn't attract any bids by itself, so it sold with the lot of leftover stuff.

I got about $2 for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread