Gold Coins from Estate Sales

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I always buy under spot price.........and watch the bullion price. When I am investing in garage and estate sales.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I don’t think I have ever seen gold coins at EstateSales in my area.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get a little older, I'm giving my collection to my children. I guess.

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love gold coins. Very nice video.

How does one find out about and/or go to an estate sale? And what exactly is it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I don’t think I have ever seen gold coins at EstateSales in my area.
The whole term is an oxymoron in these parts. No such animal as a "gold coin at an estate sale." It's like hunting for the elusive Dodo bird. :laughing7:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a single 20 franc gold coin cufflink at a antique shop once. It was in a dish of cufflinks that were missing the matching pair. I would of loved to have the matched cufflink but i thought 5 bucks was a fair price.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Picasso gold coin at a yard sale. I bought a big pile and it happened to be in the bunch. It is 12K and 3gr Didn't pay much for all.

Also it that bunch were two more gold coins that were labeled:
Prince William Christening Touch Piece (14K & 3.1gr)
Royal Wedding Touch Piece (8K 3.1gr)

Attachments

• PICASSO-1881.jpg
    PICASSO-1881.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 64
  • PICASSO-1981.jpg
    PICASSO-1981.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 64

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love gold coins. Very nice video.

How does one find out about and/or go to an estate sale? And what exactly is it?
A true estate sale is a sale of the personal contents of a person after they have deceased. Usually this means the entire house full of goods. I see you are in Mass. but not sure what town so start here... https://www.estatesales.net/MA

example... Here's a good looking one with a whole bunch of silver and what looks like a Rolex and a couple other good watches. https://www.estatesales.net/MA/Weston/02493/1695750

You have to get familiar with the estate sale companies in your area though. Some of them can have unrealistic prices, as in full blown retail or more even, lol. Buyer beware!

I might add that I looked at some of the sales in your state and most of them are much better than anything in my area. These companies around here are all thieves and you rarely ever see any gold or silver of any kind, with the exception of an occasional piece they missed.

I forgot, I did find a "gold coin" once. Technically it's not a coin but it's gold and round, lol. It is a 10k Danbury Mint Ronald Reagan inaugural medal. A whopping 7mm in diameter and it weighs .9 grams.

Last edited:

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding so much gold and precious metals at sales, especially in bullion form! I also have never seen gold coins or bars for sale, except at estate auctions.

I might add that I looked at some of the sales in your state and most of them are much better than anything in my area. These companies around here are all thieves and you rarely ever see any gold or silver of any kind, with the exception of an occasional piece they missed.

The sales in Southern New England can be good, but most are still not worth going to. Also, the competition is ferocious, particularly for coins and jewelry. To give an example of how competitive, I went to over 500 sales this year (garage sales, estate sales) as well as a handful of thrift stores. I found solid gold only once, a piece of 14K. I found around $200 worth of silver and a small handful of gold filled items. I found coins for sale three times: one sale had glass jars of modern pennies priced higher than face value, another had a small bag of foreign coins I bought for $4 (inside was one coin of note, a worn 1853 kreuzer), and the third had a bag of foreign coins for $2 containing a British silver coin worth about $5 melt.

Around here I average one precious metal or coin buy in slightly over every 50 sales. Part of the scarcity is that most people here retire and move out of state, taking their jewelry and valuable smalls with them. Another issue is the highly educated population and high cost of living.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have only seen gold coin‘s at estate sales twice once someone else found but wasn’t allowed to buy it and the second time I personally found eight of them in a drawer with some silver coins and a 2 carat diamond ring unfortunately wasn’t allowed to buy the ring I got the Silver coins and they only allowed me to buy three of the gold coins and They kept the rest and just to get those I basically had to twist their arm until they gave in

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
In my area you won't see much in the way of gold or silver at estate sales. Except for one company all the people that run sales call me in before the sale. I quote a fair price & buy almost everything. What I don't buy is generally items they believe (or I tell them) will sell for more to the general public. Sucks for anyone hoping to buy gold/silver cheap but makes more money for the estate & the people running the sale don't have to worry about theft.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently watches with gold bars too. So tempting not to just break it open even though there’s a hole in the center of it. Rest is plate and crystal but comes with a coa.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510428996.763192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510429109.145846.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread