Small Silverware Score - Help with Mark

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small score but I was proud of myself today. I went to an estate sale, was 29th in line, and was the third group let in. There was a pile of silver items that looked but was really picked over.

However, I still managed to pull these three pieces which are silver. I paid extra close attention to them because they were monogrammed. I almost never see monogrammed silverware that is not silver. Total weight is just under 60grams.

Anyone have any idea what this mark is? It looks like "WwH" or could be "HmM". There are no other marks. Strange thing is that although the patterns and monogram are different, they have the same mark.

IMG_20171202_113455.jpg

IMG_20171202_113634 (1).jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is W&H. It should be marked if it is silver so I am thinking it might be plated.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is W&H. It should be marked if it is silver so I am thinking it might be plated.

Thank Jim. I dug in nice and deep on the acid test and it tested very strong. They are not plated. I saw a W&H mark here but the character on my mark is not an & and like you said, if they were English there would be other marks. I don't think its W&H.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Digg....that's it! I even looked at that page but somehow missed it. Pretty cool that they are from the 1800s. Going to go back tomorrow to see if I can't find anymore.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Wow. Was that a professionally run sale? Hard to believe they couldn't let more people in at a time. I won't go to sales that are run that way until late in the day. Truth is the obvious best deals are going to be picked up by the first few people. The only things left worth buying from a resellers point of view are the things no one else has any knowledge about and those things will be there later anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread