diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up some ivory pieces over the weekend (as well as a few other vintage pieces) and we all know you can't sell it on eBay. So where do you sell your ivory? Local auction house maybe? Haven't even researched values yet to tell you the truth. One necklace appears older and in rough shape but the others are nice. Anyone had any experience with this?

IMG_1617 (1280x874).jpg IMG_1623 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1627 (1261x1280).jpg IMG_1629 (1280x1138).jpg

IMG_1615 (1280x871).jpg IMG_1613 (1280x812).jpg

IMG_1633 (1280x527).jpg IMG_1634 (1280x960).jpg

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
Under Federal law, you can sell your African elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990). ... Some states have laws prohibiting or restricting sale of ivory....hope this helps

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under Federal law, you can sell your African elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990). ... Some states have laws prohibiting or restricting sale of ivory....hope this helps
I wonder what constitutes proof? I did find the same exact necklace just now from a jewelry seller in Hawaii. Vintage Elephant Ivory Necklace Massive Graduated Disc Strand - Jewelry Kingdom

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience, it is so difficult to sell that it is not worth buying. In my area, antique malls are routinely busted and fined for small pieces.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience, it is so difficult to sell that it is not worth buying. In my area, antique malls are routinely busted and fined for small pieces.
I guess I'm glad I don't live in New York then. Besides I couldn't turn down a bag of Ivory jewelry with a cheap costume price on it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In California, the sale of ivory, rhino horn or products that contain ivory is a misdemeanor, punishable by fines up to $50,000 and one year of incarceration.
"Ivory" also includes those parts of elephants, walrus, mammoths, hippos, warthogs, whales and rhinos.
Don......

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In California, the sale of ivory, rhino horn or products that contain ivory is a misdemeanor, punishable by fines up to $50,000 and one year of incarceration.
"Ivory" also includes those parts of elephants, walrus, mammoths, hippos, warthogs, whales and rhinos.
Don......

cali laws usually give me a chuckle...not that new york laws are any better haha

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take away the market / stop Poaching . Wish it were that easy.

With over 7 Billion people on Earth + others LOL , There will always be a demand.

When did they stop making Piano Keys from Ivory?

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With over 7 Billion people on Earth + others LOL , There will always be a demand.

you mean that hasn't worked with drugs or prostitution or alcohol or guns:laughing7: ..... should I go on?

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diggummup: Here's some info from the page you posted the
link to. Hope it helps.

"Isn't it illegal to sell ivory? There are two separate lists that govern the trade of elephant ivory.
The CITES (Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species) List and the Federal
Endangered Species List. CITES is an international agreement that controls the exportation of
species identified by their home country as in need of special protection.

The Federal Endangered Species List on the other hand is specific to the United States and controls
the possession and interstate transportation of threatened and endangered species within the United States.
Elephants are on the CITES List and not of the Federal Endangered Species List. Hence, elephant ivory
(and any other elephant product) is illegal to export, but not illegal to possess or trade ivory products
that are already legally in the United States. Our elephant ivory is pre-act or pre-ban, that is, it was
imported into the country before CITES was implemented and therefore legal for trade within the United
States. "

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I lump ivory into the same category with items that are a pain to ship. Not worth the hassle of dealing with. Unless I know someone local that will buy and/or it has enough profit to let someone else sell for me on commission I pass.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Local auction house. Let them deal with the risk. Only buy it if you can steal it. Not very helpful, sorry...

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Dig, if you have to ask this question, it is enough to confirm my previous thoughts that ivory just isn't worth the hassle......not unless it is a $1 or less find. I am not helpful either, but once again, you have provided a service to me.

T.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local auction house. Let them deal with the risk. Only buy it if you can steal it. Not very helpful, sorry...
No, it's helpful. Kind of what I had in mind to begin with. Just wondering if anyone else had actually done it before. For what it's worth, I would never pay more than a buck or two for anything Ivory. I only buy it when they are giving it away.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my Pre-1972, Walrus Tusk Ivory handled Buck knife, customized for me by Steve Wandt. I never even thought about selling it. Interesting thread!

Attachments

• knives2 002.jpg
    knives2 002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 96
  • knives2 003.jpg
    knives2 003.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 76
  • knives2 004.jpg
    knives2 004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • knives2 005.jpg
    knives2 005.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 85
  • knives2 006.jpg
    knives2 006.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 104
  • knives2 007.jpg
    knives2 007.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Fat Cats and their wives don’t play by the same rules the rest of us have to abide by. Kinda like Congress not having to swallow our health plan mandates...they have their own. When legislation is made for all equally then we will live in an equal society. Until then the black market will always exist .

A358F1A8-35D4-4F9B-AC07-A92F7169A770.jpeg

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a demand? I don’t know anyone who wants elephant ivory. Especially after they realized there’s a dead elephant at the top of the supply chain.

Who exactly is the fat cat dealing in ivory when the rest of us can’t??? Congress??

.And just because there’s a market doesn’t make it right. Big market for meth, I still think it’s wrong to sell it. If it were legal to sell kitten heads, I’d be happy to see that made illegal.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
.And just because there’s a market doesn’t make it right. Big market for meth, I still think it’s wrong to sell it. If it were legal to sell kitten heads, I’d be happy to see that made illegal.

When I was in Afghanistan, one of the local shops on base had a blanket made of cats. It had to have at least 50 cat furs. I’m not a fan of cats and I actually laughed (sorry, not sorry) and told the owner that Westerners would be offended by the blanket. And that it couldn’t be sent to the US.
Sorry to derail, but that was a slightly funny memory.

Back on topic, I have several pieces of ivory that I have purchased at garage sales. I sold a signed Walrus on eBay just this year but eBay came back later and said that even though I listed it as none, they felt it was ivory. It was a piece made by a famous Alaskan native artist but they judged mine as not allowed. Sent me a warning and removed the history of MY listing but not the other sale I copied from.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in Afghanistan, one of the local shops on base had a blanket made of cats. It had to have at least 50 cat furs. I’m not a fan of cats and I actually laughed (sorry, not sorry) and told the owner that Westerners would be offended by the blanket. And that it couldn’t be sent to the US.
Sorry to derail, but that was a slightly funny memory.

Back on topic, I have several pieces of ivory that I have purchased at garage sales. I sold a signed Walrus on eBay just this year but eBay came back later and said that even though I listed it as none, they felt it was ivory. It was a piece made by a famous Alaskan native artist but they judged mine as not allowed. Sent me a warning and removed the history of MY listing but not the other sale I copied from.
Let's not even mention China’s annual Yulin festival, in which thousands of dogs and cats will be killed and eaten, despite widespread international condemnation. Also the last time I checked, they are still clubbing baby harp seals to death too. This world ain't all rainbows, fairy dust and unicorns. Never has been, never will be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread