Now I Have to Buy a Mercedes

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I saw a post for an 18kt. Gold Men's Mercedes Ring for $60. I called and said that I would take it. The lady said that she had made a mistake in the price. It was supposed to be $200. I asked how much it weighed and she said 8 grams and it was a size 11. I asked what her best price was and she said $150, then $125. I went to meet them and hubby brought it out. It is marked 18kt 750 and when I dropped it on the scale, it weighed 13.3 grams. I asked for his best cash price and he said $100. SOLD! My wife thought it was a good buy until I told her that now I had to buy a Mercedes. I won't repeat her response!

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 202

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you acid test it? Nothing looks right about it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a helluva deal if it's real! I'm looking for a gold ring myself for Christmas. Those marks look pretty wonky though. Hope it's real.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad to say...I am VERY familiar with those style rings. Get it acid tested. There are groups of people in my area approaching folks in parking lots saying they need gas money and will sell their ring cheap. My brother in law didn’t trust the folks at $200, but gave $35 for one of the rings hoping it wasn’t fake like he suspected. It was fake. Weighed about the same as yours. Those rings are all over OfferUp for low prices too. Hopefully we are wrong about yours.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will get tested today. If not real, I will be visiting the seller.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can acid test it but it will just confirm what we already know. No chance it's gold. I suggest you take some time and look at real pieces of gold. The difference between that ring and a real 18k ring is night and day. The craftsmanship, color, and hallmarks look nothing like the real deal. It doesn't even look plated. Probably shouldn't tell the wife unless you get your money back. Good luck.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll were right! Junk! I will let you know when I get the money back.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find nevertheless.

BA5AF557-32C7-4DFE-8F43-263E6D8F061D.jpeg

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your eyes are much better than mine. It was fake. I told my wife that it might be fake before it was tested. 36 years together, no need to lie. I have contacted the seller and expect repayment. Our first bad weather of the season is forecast for the next couple of days so probably won't get together until the first of the week. P.S. Wife was actually happy that I am not getting a Mercedes.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortly after I finished the 3 year restoration of my 1948 Indian Chief, I found a 1914 first year electric headlight for an Indian. It is one of the hardest to find parts for a 1914. I told my wife that because I had the hardest to find part, that I should start a 1914 Indian restoration. Her response was that I wouldn't live long enough to finish it. I asked what she meant by that. She said because she would KILL me. I sold the headlight.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortly after I finished the 3 year restoration of my 1948 Indian Chief, I found a 1914 first year electric headlight for an Indian. It is one of the hardest to find parts for a 1914. I told my wife that because I had the hardest to find part, that I should start a 1914 Indian restoration. Her response was that I wouldn't live long enough to finish it. I asked what she meant by that. She said because she would KILL me. I sold the headlight.

Best short story I have read in a long while, thanks for the laugh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions