Acoustic Research AR2ax speakers and Cerwin Vega Studio Monitor

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sales have been a bit slow around my area and I've been spending time working on my project car so i haven't gone out hunting much.

I had a bit of free time on Saturday so I looked for a possible sale on Friday evening. I ended up seeing a address that looked familiar so off to bed I went.

Saturday morning came and I was late to the sale by about an hour. I was shocked to walk into the garage and see the pictured items sitting there, untouched.

(1) pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers in walnut with Apollo stands

(1) pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers in oiled walnut with Apollo stands

(1) Cerwin Vega SM-12-2 studio monitor.

The 10" sub foam surrounds are toast so I'll redo them on the weekend. So far I've lightly oiled th cabinets and cleaned the stands. They sounds okay but will need to be hooked to a better receiver for better sound quality

The speakers will be kept in the front room once I reorganize all the furniture and stereo components

Attachments

• IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    666.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6423.JPG
    IMG_6423.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 93

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Love vintage audio. I picked up a pair of Polk Audio 5jr speakers recently for $10 mounted on stands.
I blew a fuse on my receiver few days ago. I'll have to take it apart tomorrow and give it a good cleaning as well, it's been almost 10 years since the last time I've been in it. I don't know, the wife moved my whole system last week while rearranging the Florida room while I wasn't home, that could have had something to do with it. I'll never tell her that though, lol.

I have a question about the new foam you mentioned. How difficult is it if you've never done it before?

Reason I ask is I have a pair of Cerwin Vega VS 120's and they need new foam. I found a video and it looks like centering it may be the biggest hurdle besides the glue itself not tacking up too quick.

<a href="http://www.vintageaudioaddict.com/cerwin_vega_vs-120/cerwin_vega_vs-120.htm" target="_blank">

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The re-foam process isn't that difficult but i would suggest trying on a set of crappy speakers first. I re-foamed a pair of some speakers that were nothing special and it was surprisingly easy. You start by removing the old crud off the cone and lay down a bead of glue. It takes about 15 minutes of kneading to get the glue to finally set so you have lots of time to get it centered. The part where you glue the surround to the basket is the important part.

You don't want the voice coil getting rubbed so if its glued off center, it will destroy it. Basically you just exercise the speaker and pull the foam surround until the movement makes no noise/rubs.

I've done about 4 of these but its pretty simple to do. If you need any more info, you can get more by watching videos on Youtube then picking my brain. I'm sure the pro guys know a lot more then i do.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The re-foam process isn't that difficult but i would suggest trying on a set of crappy speakers first. I re-foamed a pair of some speakers that were nothing special and it was surprisingly easy. You start by removing the old crud off the cone and lay down a bead of glue. It takes about 15 minutes of kneading to get the glue to finally set so you have lots of time to get it centered. The part where you glue the surround to the basket is the important part.

You don't want the voice coil getting rubbed so if its glued off center, it will destroy it. Basically you just exercise the speaker and pull the foam surround until the movement makes no noise/rubs.

I've done about 4 of these but its pretty simple to do. If you need any more info, you can get more by watching videos on Youtube then picking my brain. I'm sure the pro guys know a lot more then i do.
Practicing on a set of cheap speakers first makes complete sense. I do have an old set of Technics I could try it out on. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread