A very interesting German Piece of furniture and Roman Connections!!! WOW!

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 60's my Grandfather picked up this piece of furniture that is either a podium like piece or maybe a bar for booze. A old woman at a small roadside antique shop said she had gotten this from a old German couple that had came from Germany. My Mother said my Grandfather had paid maybe 30 dollars for it. For years I had looked at the plaque inside the door which was written in German.. Well recently I decided to have it translated and this is what transpired...

The translation is as follows:

From the Roman bridge over the Rhine River near Mainz, probably built under the rule of emperor Domitianus by the 14th Legion, at the end of the first century after Christ.

On the Roman supports, Karl the great (Charlemagne) , from 803 to 813, had a new bridge built. Scarcely completed, it burned completely.

The Roman support remains were removed from the river bed, by the District building directorate of Mainz, between The years of 1880 and 1882, for the improvement of the navigability of the Rhine river.

Wood from these bridge pylons was used in the making of this piece

l06TBW5.jpg

EH2zpEE.jpg

After seeing this I was contacted by a German Archeologist<see below>..and what is interesting...He works for the museum that is listed on the plaque in the same town this piece was built in and also includes the museum founders signature. So it looks like his museums founder was involved somehow in the marketing of this piece..

"Rainer Schreg This Roman bridge crossing the Rhine at Mayence was built in 27 AD and was used up to the early 5th c. and repaired by Charlemagne. There is even a lead medallion. dating around 300AD depicting the bridge. After the Carolingian bridge burnt soon after its construction, the stone pillars of the bridge were used to tie ship mills. In the 19th c. the Rhine was prepared for shipping and all pillars including the wooden oak foundation were removed. It's known, that the Roman woods were used economically... There is a 19th c. fotograph showing a reconstruction of one of these wooden foundation in the courtyard of the nearby museum. What is new - at least to us, is that the founder of our museum was involved in the marketing. I will talk with some colleagues at our institute and at the local museum as well, to learn more about these pieces. Many thanks for your info and all these pics."

So i'm waiting hear from him regarding more info...

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 86
  • bargerman.jpg
    bargerman.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 60

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story. It seems like you found a new home for it if you ever want to get rid of it.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible story and a beautifully carved piece. A lot of work went into that. Enjoy it (and think of your Grandfather now and again when you look at it).
HH
dts

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful piece. I would treasure it not only for the history but for the exquisite beauty and patience it took to make it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the German craftsmanship of that piece. Very nice and the history just adds to it. Incredible piece.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece of furniture! :occasion14:

What a treasure! :notworthy:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a unique piece and who knows maybe one of a kind.

BB38D349-3C6E-4AFF-BE04-BE24EE513167.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread