German Soldier’s Souvenir Wallet?

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had kind of a neat find the other day at a yard sale. I fished this old wallet out of a box of miscellaneous. One side has an image of Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris, and the other side has...a Nazi helmet! I can’t figure out exactly what this wallet is all about? A WWII German soldier’s wallet? Does the metal helmet have any meaning as an insignia? I believe the helmet has been attached to the wallet for years, because there is wear to the wallet’s interior from whatever mechanism secures the helmet to the wallet. If anyone has any thoughts I’d love to hear them. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515380005.205787.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515380017.486399.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515380311.773462.jpg

Last edited:

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
It is exactly as you describe it. A souvenir wallet. Likely picked up while in Paris. The helmet emblem is a fairly typical emblem that was attached to commercially sold photo albums of the period. Every branch on the Wehrmacht had them available. This particular emblem would have been for Army or Navy as they shared the same design.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you GregK. I appreciate the confirmation that I was on the right track.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting piece! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the price?

It was my favorite kind of sale, the kind where you make a pile and the seller gives you a bundle price for everything. I had maybe a dozen things in my pile, and the seller actually asked me “How does $20 sound, or is that too much?” Lol I have to admit, that kind of took me by surprise, and I didn’t beat them up on the price. I just paid my $20, which I thought was more than fair.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have a slightly different WW2 era German souvenir wallet. It has a Luftwaffe cap eagle on it.

d0f0b308fc6729d4ee9e_1.jpg

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have a slightly different WW2 era German souvenir wallet.

d0f0b308fc6729d4ee9e_1.jpg

Thanks Dig. I really like the fact that yours has actual insignia on it. Not only does the historical significance seem greater in that I can picture the airman securing his cap eagle to the wallet, but it would probably command a higher selling price as well.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple more finds from the same sale. I really like this “Keep ‘Em Sailing” lapel pin. I found a similar “Keep ‘Em Flying” pin online, but I can’t find another one exactly like this one. It is unmarked on the reverse.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516032333.498118.jpg
This cap badge has me stumped. It is matte black and unmarked on the reverse. Do the initials mean anything to anyone?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516032453.602357.jpg

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for finding that pin, Dig. You truly do have a black belt in internet research. I’ve always thought I was pretty savvy doing research, but when I am stumped, it rarely fails that you or another forum member come through with flying colors.

Regarding the hat badge, it is unmarked on the reverse. It is stamped out of a really thin, brassy toned metal under the black paint, The whole backside is essentially a mirror image of the front of the badge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread