Bought a statue of Mary I'd like to know more about-help please?

Kauziamos

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help identify/date this statue of Mary I bought at an estate sale. The owner lived at the same house in Los Angeles his whole life and made it to 106! He was an artist who also had a large collection, much of it attained through trade...this Mary statue was out in his garden, I thought it had, I'll say, presence, so a bought it. Not something I would normally purchase. When I got home and really looked at it, the thought occurred to me that it could be much older than I realized. Like, it could possibly be a mission era church relic rather than a garden gnome. Probably a rediculous notion, but I felt image.jpeg it couldn't hurt to ask around. Thanks for looking.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that , looks like someone spent a good deal of time crafting her, she’s keeper

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a modern poured example to me, that has set out in the weather for a while

OP
OP
Kauziamos

Kauziamos

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it might be poured too, looking at the back of it, but it still looks pretty old. When I say pretty old, I mean at least 100 years. That might not be considered so old by some of the old-timers still around :laughing7:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flat back is weird. Must have been meant to go against a wall.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly looks primitive to me. Quite possibly Alaskan origin maybe.

OP
OP
Kauziamos

Kauziamos

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had one more sale this last weekend, picked up a few more curios. Ancient tiles, I'm guessing, bits of old painted wall? And this black oval stone-any guesses?
IMG_8514.JPG
IMG_8515.JPG
IMG_8516.JPG

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try squishing some silly putty into that rock and see if it form a shape of something recognizable. Just a thought... interesting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with poured concrete, based on the back of it. It has a Mexican/ Central or South American look to me. But that's just a gut feeling.

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yhe mary looks like my lawn gnomes after all the paint falls off from being outside for a few years. maybe similar material ? as far as the stones, did you ask tge person you bought it from ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread