Vintage Longines Watch 14k, Ice? ... Scrap or Restore?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of knowledgeable watch folks here, looking for advice!

I paid a little over scrap for this piece. Not sure if it's collectible or worth trying to have it repaired. It's missing the 6, the hands and the wrist band at least. The movement works however...ticks and is beautiful to watch in action after a couple winds.

It's neat it has the box, but seems like a large investment ($1k+?) to get it back together again I'd say.

I had never even heard of this brand, according to the serial number and this site this watch would have been made right in the middle of WW2.
Longines Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers, Production Dates

What do you think...Scrap or Restoration Project?

Thanks!

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9913.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9913.jpg
    IMG_9913.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 124

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell as parts. Someone will buy it for the gold case and the movement and put a better dial on it. Definitely a project watch for someone who can do the work themselves.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm with Jim if you don't want to invest anymore in it. I think that would sell pretty good as-is on eBay as long as you include international buyers. I'd start a price higher than scrap. I've had some project watches sell way beyond what I expected them to go for on eBay. If it were mine, it would just be put away with all the other project watches I have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured if I found one that had a 9 I could always just flip it over to use as a 6. If they aren't particularly collectible I'd be inclined to sell as parts. I hate to think this is too far gone, but that's a lot of missing pieces. Haven't seen many cases like this anywhere, might be value there.

I asked one repair place for a quote but they said they had a 9 month backlog. Just thinking if I could put 1k in and get 3-4k out might be worth the risk, but sounds like a big deal.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s a beautiful watch and certainly collectible. I’d auction it on the ‘bay as was mentioned.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Longines is a Swiss maker. 17 jewels isn’t too wild. I love mechanical watches. The problem is, watches in general, especially women’s watches are less collectible and harder to sell I’ve found.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
A beautiful watch and you'll make money either way. If you ebay it, throw Charles Lindbergh into the description, as he wore a Longines when crossing the Atlantic.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't scrap but that dial is amazing! Those are diamonds, someone would love to fix it up. Put it on ebay as is.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have not made any reference to size? The bigger they are the more they are worth. Longines are very desirable and I would be very happy to pay you scrap plus for this watch. I doubt it ever had the 6 BTW It was very common to drop the six to leave room for a larger sub second dial above. Watch is very restorable do not scrap it.and the 1K estimate guy is on crack Should be able to repair it for under 300.00 Do not redo the dial leave it as is. It is worth more that way.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have not made any reference to size? The bigger they are the more they are worth. Longines are very desirable and I would be very happy to pay you scrap plus for this watch. I doubt it ever had the 6 BTW It was very common to drop the six to leave room for a larger sub second dial above. Watch is very restorable do not scrap it.and the 1K estimate guy is on crack Should be able to repair it for under 300.00 Do not redo the dial leave it as is. It is worth more that way.
I think your right about the missing 6 chapter. First off I'm not seeing the tiny little post holes in the dial that the 6 chapter studs would fit into. The only other similar watch I can find is this Hamilton of the same period and it doesn't have a 6 either. Also I agree on your estimate of the repair of this watch.

Attachments

• 1417.2L.jpg
    1417.2L.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right about the missing 6 chapter. First off I'm not seeing the tiny little post holes in the dial that the 6 chapter studs would fit into. The only other similar watch I can find is this Hamilton of the same period and it doesn't have a 6 either. Also I agree on your estimate of the repair of this watch.
Excellent pull on the Hamilton Pic. I did not go that deep into the comment! I might also add that the movement is very clean (Slightly screw jockeyed) But clean. The original hands are available on eBay as well as most any specialty supply for Small dollars. Fix this thing up and sport it. Please post the measurements? Also I am sure the box is period to the piece and having that is worth money as well (At least $100.00 premium on the watch) Make sure you pull out the liners to see if you have the paper or receipt under them. If so, Cha Ching!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one does but the dial is different. Look above the 6 and see the very small sub second display. Then look at your watch and see the very large sub second dial. Yours is a large sub second thus no 6. If yours had a 6 a) it would not fit and b) you would have 2 small pin holes in the dial where the chapter would have been mounted. (They were not glued on. I believe your dial is correct as it stands.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one does but the dial is different. Look above the 6 and see the very small sub second display. Then look at your watch and see the very large sub second dial. Yours is a large sub second thus no 6. If yours had a 6 a) it would not fit and b) you would have 2 small pin holes in the dial where the chapter would have been mounted. (They were not glued on. I believe your dial is correct as it stands.
Again I agree. They didn't use glue and if they did it would have surly left evidence of that on the face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions