Sterling silver tea set & platter

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought I would ever have one of these in my house. A friend of mine bought it at a yard sale and I bought it from him. For under spot by a couple hundred dollars. It’s 5177 g. Even the platters Sterling. I think I could go sled riding on the platter, its so big- 25” from handle to handle, 5 1/2 lbs. Made by Gorham. Does anyone have any experience selling these? Do they go for more than spot? There’s a monogram of “B” on the platter but the rest has nothing. No dents no damage. All matching. (Second picture has a hard-boiled egg for size reference)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1518576710.256362.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1518576737.057799.jpg

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice one day I’ll find one

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice one day I’ll find one

Hopefully for less then i do so you don’t feel like you have to sell it. I don’t feel like this one’s a fair find because I got it from another picker.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $2500 in spot value someone’s got to really like tea to shell out more than that. A great buy though. Keep it until silver hits $30 again!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $2500 in spot value someone’s got to really like tea to shell out more than that. A great buy though. Keep it until silver hits $30 again!

That would be nice. I’ll never forget when I started this hobby that my dad was with me we drove to the coin store. I ran inside and came back out and he asked me what did I buy. I said, DAD! I bought 2 ounces of silver for $80! Silver was $34-36 an oz. happiest day ever. Til silver tanked! I’m not sure why I felt like sharing that but your post made me remind myself of that!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start hitting all the local antique stores. When I was down south I was a picker for three stores(cameras, Judaica, kitchen). But when it came to silver every store I tried wanted to pay under spot. Hey, that's what I pay. I can do better just melting it.

I have a few pieces I am polishing now. I will hit some stores later this month. I think I would be happy with 25-50% over spot. But of course I will ask 100% over and negotiate down.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always shine. Ain't no yard sales around here with stuff like that. The only sterling I've ever picked up at any yard sale is maybe a spoon or jewelry. I did though come across a small sterling, wood footed sterling candy dish. I recognize the mark right from the get. It was kindof a mod. design and was made by William Spratling. Paid 3 bucks for it, but it only sold for $165. Had it been 3 years before, it would have sold for more I believe as that's when the Mexican silver was in hot demand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread