Anybody Knowledgeable on Hall Pottery? I'm stumped

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i slowly sort through the items I acquired on Friday, I have seem to hit a road block.

I bought the vase with the thought that Hall was a well known name. That seems to not be the case because I've searched all over and have yet to come up with a definitive match to the hallmark on my vase.

All the Hall logos I've seen are ink stamps, not incised cursive marks like mine has.

Does anybody has some history on the company logos? Maybe I'm missing something but perhaphs somebody has an answer for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6560.JPG
    IMG_6560.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 96

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe it's HULL, no HALL pottery.
Here's some history:
Hull pottery was made in Crooksville, Ohio, from 1905. Addis E. Hull bought the Acme Pottery Company and started making ceramic wares. In 1917, A. E. Hull Pottery began making art pottery as well as the commercial wares. For a short time, 1921 to 1929, the firm also sold pottery imported from Europe. The dinnerwares of the 1940s (including the Little Red Riding Hood line), the high gloss artwares of the 1950s, and the matte wares of the 1940s, are all popular with collectors. Hull Pottery produced cookie jars in several styles, including a bean pot, a baby, and an apple. The firm officially closed in March 1986.
Don........

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Don.

I did some more looking late last night and actually found the exact same vase/jar online. That's one down, many more to go....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly known for their china and restaurantware and though it's not typically referred to as Hall pottery, they did produce many "pottery" pieces that are referenced as such.

What's funny is I sort of had the opposite thing happen the other day. Wife bought a pink pottery pitcher told me it was a Hull piece like her cornucopias. I didn't look at the mark before I started looking for a match online. Duh. Searched for a few minutes with no luck before I got off my butt and went and looked at it. Turned out to be marked "Hall 1338", not Hull.

Hall China / Pottery Co.

A Brief History
The Hall China Company was started by Robert Hall in 1903 in East Liverpool, Ohio. A short year later he died. The management of the business was taken over by his son who was also named Robert. The company produced items such as mugs, jugs, bedpans and struggled to survive. In 1910 vandals broke into the plant and destroyed or damaged much of the equipment necessary to make pottery & china. Robert bounced back & in 1911 they developed a single fire formula that made their wares nonporous, strong and craze proof. Business increased and in 1919 they purchased the Goodwin Pottery Company plant and began making teapots. In 1927 an additional plant was added and the variety of different wares increased yet again. Do to their tremendous growth, construction on a new facility to replace all three locations was opened in 1930. Now Hall's product line included cooking china, teapots, tableware and coffee makers. In 2003 Hall celebrated its 100 year anniversary. The company is still in business today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread