NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18KT Gold Carnelian & 14KT Onyx Earrings

I started off the morning at a church rummage sale. I was number 10 in line but when i went in i totally missed the back room with the clothes and jewelry. When I finally realized it, I saw a woman leaving with a large jewelry box full of jewelry. Looked like mostly costume but you never now. Bummer! I then went to a community yard sale and drove around for 15 minutes and there was not one single house at 7:30 having a sale so I headed out disappointed and headed to the only other local Yard Sale published that had jewelry. She had a small box with about 15 pieces in it. The first one that stood out was a pair of Orange stone earrings which look totally fake because of the yellow color of the gold. Flipped it over and couldn’t believe it when I saw some marks on the bottom that appeared to be 750. The marks ended up being 750 along with Italian makers marks. The stones are Carnelian and they weigh 11.4 grams ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520137521.043904.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520137599.714675.jpg
The next set I noticed were a pair of black onyx earrings. I flipped them to their clips and could see 14 karat marks. They only weigh 3 g but are very nice. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520137748.881642.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520137759.771628.jpg
The last ones I found were a heavyset very high-quality sterling silver hoop earring set marked 925 that weigh 11 g. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520137829.472543.jpg
After initial disappointment it turned out to be a great day.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great scores, and very nice pieces. That is really disappointing when it's almost 8 am, and not a soul in sight. I've been noticing a small trend in my area where a lot of people are starting their sales at 9 am or later. :-)

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds JimDon. I think your “carnelian” earrings are actually coral.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. Yard sale season hasn’t started here yet but I’m guessing in the next 4-5 weeks or so. Usually in April granted winter cooperates.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds JimDon. I think your “carnelian” earrings are actually coral.

I originally thought that but these are definitely Carnelian. On the back you can definitely see the striations that you find on the Carnelian stone.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds! :occasion14:

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally thought that but these are definitely Carnelian. On the back you can definitely see the striations that you find on the Carnelian stone.

The lines I see in the picture sure look like coral growth lines. Coral lines are generally very uniform. They are very fine and somewhat resemble lines of a finger print. Carnelian striations usually vary in width. At the end of the day you can call it whatever you like and it will not make much difference in value. Maybe we will just have agree to disagree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread