May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CyberDan if you’re out there can your wife help me with the characters on the back of this plate my mom picked up at a garage sale. It was picked up in Japan by the owners parents in the 40s or 50s. I just haven’t been able to figure out what the signature is. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558591.051613.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558605.058710.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558617.214174.jpg I appreciate it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon, we tried. Japanese is so complicated. We have 26 letters! They have 4 alphabets, I think. She can read it but not understand it. She thinks it is the pottery company and city.

One thing she picked out was "imari ware" do a google.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon, we tried. Japanese is so complicated. We have 26 letters! They have 4 alphabets, I think. She can read it but not understand it. She thinks it is the pottery company and city.

One thing she picked out was "imari ware" do a google.

Thank you!

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imari pottery used to have excellent collector value. Unfortunately, the market for it has pretty much died over the last ten years. Only the most exceptional pieces hold any real value. The fact that this is signed is not necessarily a game changer. There were hundreds of imari factories in Japan, and some date back hundreds of years. You would have to have that dish evaluated to determine its value, but it is highly unlikely that you will have found a real treasure. It's a nice piece, but not unusual by any means that I can see.
If you go to Christies auction house online, they have a free evaluation program on there by experts. It will give you an idea of its true worth.
Cheers!
(I lived in Japan for a cumulative 15 years of my life, and speak the language fluently. In addition, I am a licensed Auctioneer and have put a lot of asianware through my auctions. My family has LOTS of Imari from the time my father was in Japan during the Occupation, as well as other artwork, some of which IS in fact very valuable. I wouldn't hold my breath on this piece, but you never absolutely know.)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imari pottery used to have excellent collector value. Unfortunately, the market for it has pretty much died over the last ten years. Only the most exceptional pieces hold any real value. The fact that this is signed is not necessarily a game changer. There were hundreds of imari factories in Japan, and some date back hundreds of years. You would have to have that dish evaluated to determine its value, but it is highly unlikely that you will have found a real treasure. It's a nice piece, but not unusual by any means that I can see.
If you go to Christies auction house online, they have a free evaluation program on there by experts. It will give you an idea of its true worth.
Cheers!
(I lived in Japan for a cumulative 15 years of my life, and speak the language fluently. In addition, I am a licensed Auctioneer and have put a lot of asianware through my auctions. My family has LOTS of Imari from the time my father was in Japan during the Occupation, as well as other artwork, some of which IS in fact very valuable. I wouldn't hold my breath on this piece, but you never absolutely know.)
Stick around. We need a go to person for Asian collectibles and such. Sounds like you may have more hands on knowledge in that field than the rest of us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread