Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By SittingElf

Thread: Japanese Plate Help cyberdan

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    3611 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Japanese Plate Help cyberdan

CyberDan if youíre out there can your wife help me with the characters on the back of this plate my mom picked up at a garage sale. It was picked up in Japan by the owners parents in the 40s or 50s. I just havenít been able to figure out what the signature is. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558591.051613.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	1561209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558605.058710.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	1561210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520558617.214174.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	814.3 KB 
ID:	1561211I appreciate it.

us
    Tightwad De Luxe

Apr 2014
    In ur innerwebz
    161 times
    Top right character can mean 'big.' Others...would have to research.

Beautiful plate!
    Yup...I'm 'that pen person.'

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1641 times
    JimDon, we tried. Japanese is so complicated. We have 26 letters! They have 4 alphabets, I think. She can read it but not understand it. She thinks it is the pottery company and city.

One thing she picked out was "imari ware" do a google.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    3611 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
    JimDon, we tried. Japanese is so complicated. We have 26 letters! They have 4 alphabets, I think. She can read it but not understand it. She thinks it is the pottery company and city.

One thing she picked out was "imari ware" do a google.
    Thank you!

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9030 times
    Yeah, I don't know who made it but it's definitely an Imari charger.

us
    Feb 2018
    Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
    Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
    537 times
    Imari pottery used to have excellent collector value. Unfortunately, the market for it has pretty much died over the last ten years. Only the most exceptional pieces hold any real value. The fact that this is signed is not necessarily a game changer. There were hundreds of imari factories in Japan, and some date back hundreds of years. You would have to have that dish evaluated to determine its value, but it is highly unlikely that you will have found a real treasure. It's a nice piece, but not unusual by any means that I can see.
    If you go to Christies auction house online, they have a free evaluation program on there by experts. It will give you an idea of its true worth.
    Cheers!
    (I lived in Japan for a cumulative 15 years of my life, and speak the language fluently. In addition, I am a licensed Auctioneer and have put a lot of asianware through my auctions. My family has LOTS of Imari from the time my father was in Japan during the Occupation, as well as other artwork, some of which IS in fact very valuable. I wouldn't hold my breath on this piece, but you never absolutely know.)
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    --- Isaac Asimov

Equinox 600, Equinox 800, ACE 300 (x2 for wife and young son), Garret Carrot, White's Ground Hawg, Minelab Pro-Find 35, ArchMage SoundClean 9 APTX LL Ears.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SittingElf View Post
    Imari pottery used to have excellent collector value. Unfortunately, the market for it has pretty much died over the last ten years. Only the most exceptional pieces hold any real value. The fact that this is signed is not necessarily a game changer. There were hundreds of imari factories in Japan, and some date back hundreds of years. You would have to have that dish evaluated to determine its value, but it is highly unlikely that you will have found a real treasure. It's a nice piece, but not unusual by any means that I can see.
    If you go to Christies auction house online, they have a free evaluation program on there by experts. It will give you an idea of its true worth.
    Cheers!
    (I lived in Japan for a cumulative 15 years of my life, and speak the language fluently. In addition, I am a licensed Auctioneer and have put a lot of asianware through my auctions. My family has LOTS of Imari from the time my father was in Japan during the Occupation, as well as other artwork, some of which IS in fact very valuable. I wouldn't hold my breath on this piece, but you never absolutely know.)
    Stick around. We need a go to person for Asian collectibles and such. Sounds like you may have more hands on knowledge in that field than the rest of us.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links