Antique Brass ship's compass

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up for a few dollars (I think maybe $10). The glass was completely clouded when I bought it but I took it apart and it cleaned up nice. I plan on polishing the brass to a shine and re painting the dial if i can. Also need to get a new rubber seal for the inside. This is something to be added to my personal collection.
It is a J J McNeil with serial number (or model number) 6115. Also is stamped Portland ME. Still points to true north!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520799800.501039.jpg

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I would not re-paint the dial before I did some research to see how that would affect the value, due to loss of originality. Re-dialing a watch totally kills the collector value, not sure on these, even though you want it for your own, I wouldn't want to cheapen it. Nice find! T.

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not re-paint the dial before I did some research to see how that would affect the value, due to loss of originality. Re-dialing a watch totally kills the collector value, not sure on these, even though you want it for your own, I wouldn't want to cheapen it. Nice find! T.

I wouldn't care if it cheapens the value. I'm putting this in my personal collection so it will be my kids problem when I die 60+ years from now. Also going to be making a nice display box for it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have the exact same one.

Picked at a flea for 10 also.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beautiful piece. I am sure there is a company out there that could reproduce the dial for you.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t wait to see it restored.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering where you could find someone to restore the dial? Most watch dials are re-done with a silk screen. I'm thinking this one would need to be done all by hand, by someone with great skill. Yes, I think putting the time and effort into restoring it to it's former glory would be a good thing, but expensive I'm thinking in order to get it done right. Good luck with it. Shining up the brass is something you could do.

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering where you could find someone to restore the dial? Most watch dials are re-done with a silk screen. I'm thinking this one would need to be done all by hand, by someone with great skill. Yes, I think putting the time and effort into restoring it to it's former glory would be a good thing, but expensive I'm thinking in order to get it done right. Good luck with it. Shining up the brass is something you could do.

I should be able to do it all myself. I have a pretty steady hand and some experience painting small things. This is like 2.5 inches across so it should be no problem. I have my brass polisher on the way and will be re-painting it over spring break most likely. I also have found the right size rubber seal for the inside already surprisingly. I'll make sure to do as you all say and post pictures of it fixed up!

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! 60+ years from now? Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi wow that is a beautiful piece for a display:icon_thumleft:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece!! I say restore it to how you want it because it’s part of your personal collection. But if it were me, I would just clean it and maybe polish the brass and leave the rest alone. But that’s just me. A fantastic find! ☠️

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521073592.846895.jpg
Started a bit of the cleaning today. It is some thick grime on it so it takes a good bit of work. Already like what I am seeing underneath though!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freaking gorgeous!! Can’t wait to see it all done.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on the restoration project!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread