diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple pieces of art I picked up over this past weekend. The first is "Warspite and Warrior" Battle of Jutland, May 31, 1916 and signed J. Fleck. 14 1/2" x 21". It has a big scratch on it but the price was right. Also has a label on the back from the Parker Gallery in London.

The original was done by W.L. Wyllie and depicts the battleship 'Warspite', in action at the Battle of Jutland, at about 18.25 on 31 May 1916. She is under fire from five German battleships while the badly damaged armoured cruiser 'Warrior', on the right, tries to withdraw to the westward.Read more at HMS 'Warrior' and 'Warspite' at the Battle of Jutland, 31 May 1916, about 18.25 - National Maritime Museum

IMG_2995 (1280x864).jpg IMG_2997 (1280x718).jpg IMG_3000 (1280x881).jpg

The original etching...

Wyll09-Wyllie-HMS-Warspite-and-Warrior-at-Jutland.jpg

Next is this smaller 6" x 9" impasto oil on wood of Multnomah Falls on the Columbia river in Oregon. Appears to be pretty old judging by the craquelure on it. It is signed either E. Poole or F. Poole. It's hard to tell because of the serifs in the letter. I imagine this was done by an amateur artist on their visit to the falls sometime back in the late teens or early 1920's maybe. At least that's how my mind pictures it. Anyway, here it is...

IMG_3004 (884x1280).jpg IMG_3006 (1280x592).jpg
IMG_3013 (903x1280).jpg IMG_3012 (1280x612).jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great paintings. Can’t say that I have scene impasto like that at least in that time period. The WWi one deserves to be restored. Great saves

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great paintings. Can’t say that I have scene impasto like that at least in that time period. Great saves
You think it's newer? I thought it was older from the condition of it, maybe it just had a hard life. It has traveled across country, lol. Benson bridge, shown in the painting, wasn't built until 1914, so I know it's no earlier than that. It has an almost 3d effect to it. Hard to capture with my unskilled shooting.

IMG_3009.JPG

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right, there is a small cave behind the upper level of the waterfall.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would you all consider the first letter initial to be an E or an F? I was thinking E when I first bought it but now I believe it may be an F when comparing to the other F in FALLS on the back of the piece. Also noticed it seems to be the same handwriting as the signature on the front, in my opinion. Not that the signature really matters on this piece. Just an unknown folk art piece I guess. When I bought it I saw the name Poole and knew there were a few listed artists with that name but this isn't one I have found yet.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it a E if you look at the difference on the F and E they used a shorter line on the bottom of the F then I did the E which resembles more of the E in the front

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it a E if you look at the difference on the F and E they used a shorter line on the bottom of the F then I did the E which resembles more of the E in the front
Yeah that was my original thinking too. Then I started thinking maybe the serif is just over exaggerated at the bottom? Who knows. I'll throw it up on ebay and see what I can get for it.

The guy I bought the WW1 painting from is supposed to email me some photos of some other "military paintings" he got from another estate. When he does and if he sends me the other info. he mentioned about an estate sale he may be having in Jupiter, I'll pm you about it. He said the place is packed and it'd be worth my while to drive up there. I don't know that he actually got the house yet though.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that was my original thinking too. Then I started thinking maybe the serif is just over exaggerated at the bottom? Who knows. I'll throw it up on ebay and see what I can get for it.

The guy I bought the WW1 painting from is supposed to email me some photos of some other "military paintings" he got from another estate. When he does and if he sends me the other info. he mentioned about an estate sale he may be having in Jupiter, I'll pm you about it. He said the place is packed and it'd be worth my while to drive up there. I don't know that he actually got the house yet though.

That would be great thank you and good luck with the paining

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome art work! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread