Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the big black one is made in the slip carving style(can't tell on others). These all look relatively modern to me.(no expert though)

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
They look modern to me also. In most cases that means lower value. Frist place to start is by looking up whatever signature is on the bottom.

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect the ones just to the right in the back of the center one. It has a red lip and grey or black accents. It's a modern piece from Mexico (and frequently have bird or floral motifs). I believe it's from the Tonala region of Jalisco in Mexico. I think that they're frequently picked up as souvenirs and dumped off at thrift shops or rummages (which I where I find mine). They are hand-painted.

I frequently pay about $2-5 for ones and have even paid as much as $12 for huge or very ornate versions. I also see them in antique malls and whatnot, usually for about $10 for ordinary ones but they do seem to sit and don't sell too well.

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
The winner is the black carved piece in the middle. I has Hopi iconography and would really rare if it is Hopi. The figure on the bottom of the pot is a Sun Face Kachina dancer. The other decent piece is the one with the lines to right. It should be a Acoma line pot. These are relatively difficult to make. The tighter and smaller the lines the more valuable the piece.

The rest depend on the maker but I think they may have only nominal value. A few look like Mexican pieces. Look at the bottom of the pot. If it is pencil signed its older. If its signed in black ink then its a modern piece.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small one second from the right piqued me. Might be the sleeper. More pix

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the box, the black and white geometric. Those are Pueblo, my guess would be Acoma or Taos first, maybe Hopi.

The tall black and white has Kachina figures on them, also Pueblo but don't know them well enough to judge which one.

The bear might be Zuni.

The blue and white look like pretty standard mass quantity/appeal tourist stuff that I would never be interested in, but I don't know the market.

They're not large, old, or ornate enough to be worth big bucks but have some value.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Check to see if they are signed. Most of the valuable pieces are signed and the artists are well known.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question... partially... the large one and similar are called "wedding pots".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all modern or contemporary Mexican, southwestern pottery in Navajo, Acoma and Pueblo styles. Personally, I stay away from it unless something catches my eye. The large double wedding vase with the Kachina is the best piece and would catch my eye for the right price. I would almost bet money that it was made in Laguna New Mexico and is signed. Avoid the rest of the pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread