Yard sales with Jimdon in OTA’

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the day with jimdon in sarasota today. I met up with him in the AM driving up from ft myers. He had the day mapped out and it looked like a fun day! First hood we stopped in I picked up a water Ionizer like this one pictured. I’m tired and being lazy and don’t feel like walking out to the car to take pictures of it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523744109.659567.jpg

Next community sale picked up a smaller sized 14k gold pocket watch. He will have to add photos. I gave it to him for gas money. Lol. Well, really, I gave him it after the last sale of the day, I picked up a partial service for 12 sterling flatware set! Missing 6 forks. International sterling Spring Glory. 2270 grams not including the knives and a serving piece.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523744354.353205.jpg

We both got some sterling and misc jewelry. And I bought a bunch of random crap. We both had a good time and made a new friend! Next time we’ll go out in NC this Summer!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a great pleasure meeting up with you. It was so much fun picking with you. Thank you so much for the gold watch. That was way beyond called and I appreciate it. I cannot believe for you pulled that flatware set at 1 PM. After every yard sale we hit before some guy named David left his card. I learned a lot on how to deal with customers. You are the master! And a photo showing the moment of joy. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523754130.588378.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a great pleasure meeting up with you. It was so much fun picking with you. Thank you so much for the gold watch. That was way beyond called and I appreciate it. I cannot believe for you pulled that flatware set at 1 PM. After every yard sale we hit before some guy named David left his card. I learned a lot on how to deal with customers. You are the master! And a photo showing the moment of joy. View attachment 1577952

Hahaha I told one guy we work for “David” and we’re following up with people. Hahaha and another family that he was there to get the ideas floating in their mind for when we got there. We did see one gold watch but the lady wanted $900 for it. That was outrageous.

It was nice meet you also and thanks for the ride! It was fun!!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The score was in the friendship that you built, and in a very close second, the treasures found! :-) All the best to you both!

artslinger

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and good times picking with another member. Sounds like a winner to me.

Was the flatware sitting outside or did you ask for it?

I'm interested in how much you offer someone for a sterling flatware set? I mean do you weigh it up and then give an offer or let them give you a price and go from there? I have yet to find a set that someone didn't want $1500-$2000 for. To me it isn't worth spending that kind of money to make a couple/few hundred. So I have refrained every time.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and good times picking with another member. Sounds like a winner to me.

I'm interested in how much you offer someone for a sterling flatware set? I mean do you weigh it up and then give an offer or let them give you a price and go from there? I have yet to find a set that someone didn't want $1500-$2000 for. To me it isn't worth spending that kind of money to make a couple/few hundred. So I have refrained every time.

He told me it was a mixed set. That there were all different pieces from different companies. Which there was. I did a quick search and threw out a number based off what I saw. It was sitting in his garage as he was cleaning up and said hardly anyone came to the sale so idk if it was out all day or not. It was in a pile of his stuff. Wasn’t all neat in the box, just thrown in there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a big thank you for the watch!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523887554.896362.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523887597.137476.jpg

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know you didn't ask me, but when I'm buying flatware from an estate sale or garage sale, they set the price. Even if it's 'make an offer', I usually tug around with it until they give me a number. If it's reasonably under melt, it comes home, and I don't haggle any further. Sometimes you get a steal of a deal, and sometimes it's too close. I would only break out a scale if their ask price seemed high.

And it's different if someone is actually coming to me for advice or looking to bring me their estate items. I'm usually a cash buyer at 80-90% of melt, and I know there are bigger buyers out there, but I give people honest and free advice about as much as I can, even if it's something I'm not buying. I love to help people with their antiques and metal when they are scared to even touch it and don't know where to go with it...

The short of it is, I'm treasure hunting when I'm garage saling/estating. If I can get a great price that the seller is comfortable with, then put that in the win column. If I'm helping someone with an estate, I'm giving my absolute best offer and trying to educate them to the best of my ability. I don't seek out yard sales and spend time and gas money to tell people how much their stuff is worth. I donate to charities to check that box. :D

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you didn't ask me, but when I'm buying flatware from an estate sale or garage sale, they set the price. Even if it's 'make an offer', I usually tug around with it until they give me a number. If it's reasonably under melt, it comes home, and I don't haggle any further. Sometimes you get a steal of a deal, and sometimes it's too close. I would only break out a scale if their ask price seemed high.

And it's different if someone is actually coming to me for advice or looking to bring me their estate items. I'm usually a cash buyer at 80-90% of melt, and I know there are bigger buyers out there, but I give people honest and free advice about as much as I can, even if it's something I'm not buying. I love to help people with their antiques and metal when they are scared to even touch it and don't know where to go with it...

The short of it is, I'm treasure hunting when I'm garage saling/estating. If I can get a great price that the seller is comfortable with, then put that in the win column. If I'm helping someone with an estate, I'm giving my absolute best offer and trying to educate them to the best of my ability. I don't seek out yard sales and spend time and gas money to tell people how much their stuff is worth. I donate to charities to check that box. :D

Very well said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread