May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are yard sales everywhere this weekend but I started off hitting one church sale before I went to several community sales. I was first in line and hit the jewelry which was priced at one dollar or $.50. Most of the jewelry you see was from this sale and is Sterling. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525057814.865754.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525057825.343135.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525057849.257868.jpg
As I was going to community sales, I went to one with this elderly man sitting outside. He was a 90-year-old World War II veteran and we ended up talking for 45 minutes. I’m sure I missed some sales but it was well worth it. He served on one of the small carriers in the Pacific. I had previously asked him if he had watches and he said no. After we talked he then said wait here and brought out two watches and said he wanted me to have them. One was a Bucherer that his wife bought in Switzerland in the 70s. The other was a Waltham. They were pretty beat up but I told him I had to give him something and he finally said just give him five dollars. I was touched he wanted me to have his watches. He also Said he has a bag of 8 to 10 watches from when he was younger and when he found them he would call me! Can’t wait!!! At a later sale I was speaking to a woman and her son and asked about watches and she said she had one that was her deceased husbands. She brought out an Elgin on a really cool Speidel calendar strap with a 1973 calendar. It’s the kind that scrolls from month to month but it was not the correct size for the watch so I took it off and will keep it for another one. She said it made her sad and would take $20 for it which was more than I would spend but I gave it to her. I put new straps on, polished the crystals, and cleaned up all the DNA junk caked on the watches. All three came out great although I wish the Bucherer dial was in better condition. It is a great 25 jewel automatic movement though. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525059910.304124.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058203.924096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525059979.207151.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058222.683017.jpg
Here are the rest my finds from yard sales. Really cool antique painted porcelain beer tap pull for $1. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058267.330649.jpg A very nice new in the box bank from a Charlotte North Carolina bank. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058298.778475.jpg Several ladies watches including a gorgeous blue bezel and dial Timex electric diver in running condition. The others are a Caravelle, another Timex electric and an Endura. All running for $1 -$2 each. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058377.163403.jpg Three iron city beer Pittsburgh Steeler commemorative cans from 1979/80. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058417.651651.jpg
I also found a fork for $1 that had the marks on the back removed but felt it was sterling because I could see what look like a hallmark. I acid tested it and it was sterling. I also found a broken spoon bowl of 800 silver which is kind of cool for $.25. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058477.259413.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058490.771302.jpg At the last stop on the way home at an estate sale I found this beautiful but bent gold and seed pearl stick pin for $2.50. I straightened it out when I got home and acid tested it which confirmed it was 10 karat gold. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058655.482301.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525058667.237108.jpg
I ended up with 178 g of sterling silver in .8 g of 10 karat gold And three great men’s watches for my collection. There were so many sales and so little time. I barely left a mile from my house and hit 30+ sales. God I love this time year!

Last edited:

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! you seem to have an eye, and a real knack for this! Still trying to find my first really good yard sale......

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the Barse pendant!

You noticed that too. Barse always seems to sell for a premium. Both of those large pendants are solid sterling!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! you seem to have an eye, and a real knack for this! Still trying to find my first really good yard sale......

Location has a lot to do with the quality of your finds. Didn’t they ask one of those famous bank robbers why he robbed banks and he said that is where the money is. Same with Yard Sale’s. I specifically target the older neighborhood houses from the 50’s & 60s and the wealthier areas of town. I also stay clear of new starter home communities. Not to say these won’t have good finds, I just think my chances are better at the places I target.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Location has a lot to do with the quality of your finds. Didn’t they ask one of those famous bank robbers why he robbed banks and he said that is where the money is. Same with Yard Sale’s. I specifically target the older neighborhood houses from the 50’s & 60s and the wealthier areas of town. I also stay clear of new starter home communities. Not to say these won’t have good finds, I just think my chances are better at the places I target.

Thank you for the tip!!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I truly agree. I avoid the newer communities. You mainly see low end nick nacks, and household items. Amazing scores! Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread