diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this for a song yesterday. He sits about 12" tall or so. I'm trying to find out if the lead seal on it is original to the piece or if it's been added by a previous owner?
My research tells me this was made late 1800's early 1900's, that is if I can believe the descriptions of several similar ones I've found.
Although there are age cracks, personally I think it was made post WW2, but I'm no expert.
I posted it in the What is it forum but it's slowly making it's way to the bottom of the page already.
I have more faith in the ability of those that post here anyway.
What do you think of the lead seal? I can't even figure out the language.

IMG_5368 (1106x1280).jpg

IMG_5360.JPG IMG_5362.JPG

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent some time last night after your first post trying to find that script on the seal. No luck.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow with an appraiser named Robert Waterhouse, and I've since visited his website and emailed him some pictures of an Asian antique for his input - the first email didn't get a response, but I sent it again several weeks later and received a pleasant response that time.

From Robert Waterhouse's website:

"PKR Antiques, look and appraise for sale all Chinese & Asian Antiques and Art. Simply put we are happy to look at everything."

"PKR Antiques are equally happy to assist answering questions of curiosity.
Should you wonder “how much is this worth” or what is this Chinese?” Or perhaps “ value of Chinese or Asian object” then PKR Antiques are happy to help.
Should a client just like to know country of origin or age without wishing to sell- then an emailed image asking the question will be answered in about 3-5 days."

Chinese antiques | Chinese Antique Buyer | Antique Dealer

Please report back if you get any useful info. HH!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow with an appraiser named Robert Waterhouse, and I've since visited his website and emailed him some pictures of an Asian antique for his input - the first email didn't get a response, but I sent it again several weeks later and received a pleasant response that time.

From Robert Waterhouse's website:

"PKR Antiques, look and appraise for sale all Chinese & Asian Antiques and Art. Simply put we are happy to look at everything."

"PKR Antiques are equally happy to assist answering questions of curiosity.
Should you wonder “how much is this worth” or what is this Chinese?” Or perhaps “ value of Chinese or Asian object” then PKR Antiques are happy to help.
Should a client just like to know country of origin or age without wishing to sell- then an emailed image asking the question will be answered in about 3-5 days."

Chinese antiques | Chinese Antique Buyer | Antique Dealer

Please report back if you get any useful info. HH!
Just sent off an email with photos, we'll see. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sent off an email with photos, we'll see. :icon_thumright:
Nothing yet back from them. I'm gonna go ahead and list it tomorrow with a BIN price at the upper end of the ones I have found similar that have sold. Seems to be around $300 obo. I've seen crazy prices for $1850 and $2150, on various antique websites but those people are shooting for the stars. I'll just use the same basic description everyone has been using.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread