Book help.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I do pretty well buying books at garage sales and selling them on Amazon. They pay for my gas and car maintenance. Everything else is just profits. I found a book a week ago last Saturday called, "Sites of Maui" by Elspeth Sterling (the hard cover edition). There is one copy of the paperback version up for sale for $3217.79. Well, I see that all the time. sometimes people will list things up for crazy prices with no real intention of selling now, but they will reprice it later for sale. So I started looking for it on other websites. I could not find the Hardcover, only the paperback. Alibris has it for $1801.00 (only one copy available). There are other copies around, but they are all single copy on sites, and at astronomical prices. The same author came out with a "Sites of Oahu" book in 1978 that is priced in the hundreds for the paperback.

Is this a real value? Is it a fake? What should I price it at to have a realistic chance of selling it? Any help would be appreciated.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a copy sold for $250 under eBay solds. Not sure if this is exactly what you have, but the listing does indicate it is a hardcover:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152954360136

You may find it useful to know that it was listed on March 22, 2018 and sold on March 27, 2018, so it didn’t sit for months at that price. Should be a relatively quick flip for you if you price it in that same ballpark.

Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you take the product code from amazon, and paste in at camelcamelcamel, it will show you price history for the book, as well as sales rank

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
if you take the product code from amazon, and paste in at camelcamelcamel, it will show you price history for the book, as well as sales rank

Huge help. Thanks. The Hard Cover has no sales history on Amazon, but the paperback has 2 sold this year for the mid $500's range. I'll put it up at $800, and see what happens. Thanks again, That site will be a HUGE help in the future.

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is very good for geeting a feel for the price of things that have low rank, or absurd prices, you can judge where you have to price an item to make it actually sell. You can also set alerts on items you want, and the site will notify you when it is offered at or below a price you specify

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread