Vintage Nivada Grenchen Chrono and divers watch, at Garage sale

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I scored this Swiss Divers watch after work today. The sale was advertize for tmrw, but I contacted the seller, and he allowed me to come and see his watches. I bought this one and 8 more. This one and a Timex were the best ones. Thank you for your comments, and feedback.

Artslinger 20180607_232609.jpg 20180607_232614.jpg 20180607_232643.jpg 20180607_232708.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had not heard of that brand before. Sweet find.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are KILLING me! Great strategy on calling the guy up. I hope you got a good price on them.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to a all. The watch works, but it needs service. The chrono buttons are not working. I paid $5 per watch. I bought them all, as I did not want to sherry pick. This is the pic that the seller sent me from my initial inquiry.Thanks. photo0.jpeg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the one on the left a time Timex Marlin from the 60’s? It could be worth some good money if it is. There should be two numbers just below the number six. The one on the right is the movement number and last two digits of the date it was manufactured. For example 2569. The one on the left should be a five digit number which is the model.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the one on the left a time Timex Marlin from the 60’s? It could be worth some good money if it is. There should be two numbers just below the number six. The one on the right is the movement number and last two digits of the date it was manufactured. For example 2569. The one on the left should be a five digit number which is the model.

Jim, very good eye, thank you, The numbers are 2017 6 (marker) 2465. See additional picture found online. So, this is a 1965 Marlin. Unreal that you were able to tell from the lousy picture. :-)

artslinger

Rare-Serviced-1965-Vintage-Timex-Marlin-Runs-Mens-_57.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, very good eye, thank you, The numbers are 2017 6 (marker) 2465. See additional picture found online. So, this is a 1965 Marlin. Unreal that you were able to tell from the lousy picture. :-)

artslinger

View attachment 1599899

You could tell by the way the hour markers were. I am absolutely loving the gold dial. Marlins are quite the thing right now and the fact that this appears to be a gold starburst dial makes it considerably rarer than the silver.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice classic looking Chrono. I have seen that brand before. There were still many names and makers of Swiss watches when that one was made, but the Japanese where just about to unleash on the US watch market some of the coolest mechanical watches the world had ever seen for a lot less money, that pretty much killed off the smaller Swiss watch companies. I'm thinking your Chrono might have a Swiss made Landeron 248 movement in it, as it was used in wide range of other name brand watches at that time. I also have a Timex in my junk yard that looks exactly like the one you have. It's electric and is missing the battery cover.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice classic looking Chrono. I have seen that brand before. There were still many names and makers of Swiss watches when that one was made, but the Japanese where just about to unleash on the US watch market some of the coolest mechanical watches the world had ever seen for a lot less money, that pretty much killed off the smaller Swiss watch companies. I'm thinking your Chrono might have a Swiss made Landeron 248 movement in it, as it was used in wide range of other name brand watches at that time. I also have a Timex in my junk yard that looks exactly like the one you have. It's electric and is missing the battery cover.

Electric would not be a Marlin. I just started serving Timex watches. Fairly easy to do. Remove crown and watch from case. Remove hands then undo clamps holding on face. Soak movement in ultra sonic cleaner then rinse with lighter fluid. Once dry oil all the pivot points on both sides and also the pallet fork and mainspring. Reassemble and watch it go. Just finished this rare roulette dial 1971 Timex Sprite. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528915440.917193.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528915451.386702.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread