Fingers crossed for a possible Florida Highwaymen painting by Hezekiah Baker

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, it has been mandatory overtime at work for the past month. Since I was not going to make the garage sales on Sat, I headed to work around 7am, as I had to be there by 730 am. As I'm heading there I spot a garage sale sign and follow it. I get there, and quickly get out of my car and walk towards it. I see a lady there already checking out the jewelry, as I'm nearing the garage, the owner sees me, and tells me that she is not opened yet. I quickly and amicably let her know that I'm on my way to work, and to please allow me to browse. She agrees. I looked at the jewelry, but I did not see anything valuable. I looked at some paintings that she had, but still nothing that catches my eye. As I turn to leave I look towards the corner of the garage, and leaning on the wall is what I believe to be a Highwaymen painting.

I was in a hurry to go to work, and picked it up and I asked her how much and she tells me $5. I quickly pay her and thank her. I saw the signature, but did not recognize the name. As I'm leaving the lady's husband tells me that he knew exactly who had painted the piece. he tells me that it was a co-worker from his office, at that moment, I brushed it off as a wanna be Highwaymen, and I'm off to work. Today, just out of curiosity, I Googled the signature, H Baker, and I got a lot of hits for Hezekiah Baker, a Florida Highwaymen. I see all of the signs as an original from 1970. The material used, the signature on the left hand side, and the signature as a match. I know about the Highwaymen, but this artist had completely eluded my recollection of him as one of the original 26 members. Please let me know your thoughts, as always, they are very much appreciated.

artslinger

HBaker1.jpeg Hbaker2.jpeg hbaker3.jpeg HBaker4.jpeg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what you mean by Highwayman but love the painting. Very nice!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Looks like his work to me! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highwaymen_(artists) The Florida Highwaymen, are a group of 26 African American landscape artists in Florida. Self-taught and Self-Mentoring, they created a body of work of over 200,000 paintings, despite facing many racial and cultural barriers.[1] Mostly from the Fort Pierce area, they painted landscapes and made a living selling them door-to-door to businesses and individuals throughout Florida from the mid-1950s through the 1980s. They also peddled their work from the trunks of their cars along the eastern coastal roads (A1A and US 1).

I've been trying to find a lost original for years.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to find one of the Highwaymen paintings. Congrats!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw an episode on pawn stars, where Rick Harrison purchased some notable Florida street artist painting, as it was a valuable painting. Not sure if it was a highway men your talking about, but it came to my attention there's this group of 1960s, 70s painter's from Florida that's painting's are very collectible now. All I can really say is you did well at 5 bucks, no matter what it turns out to be?. Looking forward to hearing more on a complete confirmation of it's true authenticity.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice painting! :occasion14:

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly marketable as a Highwayman style painting, whether or not it is actually by a noted Highwayman artist. It is up there with some of their better work. Also, love the frame, works with a wide array of décor. I would jump at it for way more than $5. Great score.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it's up for sale now, so I'm thinking it's gotta be the real deal.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends thanks for all of your comments and feedback. It is definitely an original from one of the 26 Highwaymen artists. It's actually listed at several diff sites. I saw a sold auction (same place) for a Seascape from H Baker, in my opinion not as nice and detailed as mine, that was at 2600, but best offer was accepted. I have the "I don't want to sell it" price, but I'm also logical, and will adjust the price as time goes by. Thanks again to all. Your feedback is always appreciated.

artslinger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread