diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, this may be a little long winded but I'll try and make it bearable.

So I went to an estate sale yesterday about 5 blocks from my house. It was advertised the week before in the local newspaper only. Good, I thought to myself, "A sleeper sale." By the time the sale came around the ad had already expired and was no longer visible online. I told the sellers that their ad was expired/no longer visdible and they should put it on CL, which she promptly did. They did have a dozen or so signs around the neighborhood, some even with balloons on them, lol. I had the run of the place for a good 10 minutes before anyone else showed up.

The first thing that caught my eye was a metal wine rack in the shape of an antique bicycle. It also had an ice bucket with a 3000 ml bottle of Perrier Jouet from 1973 in the bucket. Priced at $20, I knew it was a deal just because of the bottle. I didn't take a photo of it yet but I will. They take a while to sell but they eventually do. Next, I saw old bronzed General Pershing still bank patented 1918 I think. I noticed many items had prices and some didn't. Those that did were very reasonably priced. I told her I needed to make a pile if that was okay, she happily agreed and I put the bank on the dining room table, along with a Royal Doulton Irish setter figurine and an unmarked German pigs in a purse figurine.

At this point I noticed some sterling silver items on another table. No prices on any but I just start piling them up as well. The Towle candle holders have a plastic bottom and almost look like they have that plated blue look to them. Never seen these type before but they are marked. The bon-bon or candy dish is dented up, the salt and pepper shakers are okay but one has a small dent that I should be able to fix. The pair of vases are in good shape though, not worth much. Same goes for the two sherbet dishes. The salt and pepper stand is nice. Any idea what the 3rd shaker is for? I notice several pieces of flatware and a magnifying glass that looked like it was sterling also so I added it to the pile.

By now there are two other people in the place. Fairly confident that I had gathered anything I wanted out of the LR/DR, den and kitchen, I took a gander into the bedrooms at this point. They were filled mostly furniture only. Really nice stuff, but I have no need or outlet for it. Nothing in the closets, empty. I noticed a pair of glass candlesticks in a window. Took a closer look and they appeared to be older pink depression glass sticks. Most people would dismiss them probably but not me. There was something about them that said "buy me" so I did. I searched my books and the internet for hours.I finally found a matching pair that sold for $174.99 in Aug. 2016. I'm sure that was a BIN and they probably sat for a while but as the listing says, "they are rare as hens teeth" lol. Across the room I noticed a tray or something on the dresser. Wow, that's a nice mirrored tray priced at $5. I thought to myself, I think that thing is worth about $50, so I bought it.

I was done scanning the bedrooms and took one more look where I first started because I have a tendency to overlook things that are right in front of me sometimes, being blind in one eye with glaucoma and all. So I noticed an old Kodak camera box and opened it up. Voila! It's the guys WW2 dog tags and several other related items, including a nice (I assume) theater made collar device created using an Aussie penny. I quickly grabbed the small box of vintage military goodies. Saw the TN Japan mechanical drummer clown with a .50 sticker on it, figured it was vintage since it didn't say China on it. It is in good shape and still works.

At this point I tell the lady I'm ready to check out. At that same time I noticed some things hanging from the wrought iron railings that separate the den and the dining room. They kind of blended in so to speak, with the lack of lighting in that particular area. I walked closer and saw they were bolo ties. There was some guy standing right next to them but not looking at them because they were at his shoulder level to his right. I quickly moved in before he did notice them and got between them and starting taking them down. There were five in total.
At the same time this was going on which only took about 30 seconds, the lady was ready to start adding up my totals. I noticed she had a notebook with her. The first piece she gave me a price on was the Pershing bank. She opened up her notebook and said, it's $100! Whoa I say, that much? Yeah she says, it's patented 1918, it's collectible. Okay, I'm gonna have to pass, I had no idea I say. I knew it was worth something but I wasn't paying that much for anything I didn't actually know the particulars on. Next was the irish setter figurine, that's $40 she said. Whoa, it's worth that much huh? This went on again with the pigs in a purse, she said they were $50. I passed on the first three items that she priced in my pile that weren't marked. This wasn't looking good. Next she started adding up the sterling pieces. $5 for the magnifying glass, $5 for the shakers, $10 for the bon-bon tray and $10 for the 2 vases and 2 sherbets, $10 for the pile of spoons and fork, etc. etc.. The price was up to $90 and I still had the 5 bolo ties off to the side, kind of behind her. I was sort of scared to ask because they still had the prices written in Sharpie on the back from when they were originally purchased. I thought she was gonna pull out her notebook, lol. So I asked her how much for the 5 bolo's, she said $2 each, make it an even $100! I quickly paid her and thanked her.

I found it strange that the first 3 items she priced me on were so high and everything else was so reasonable.

IMG_6501 (1280x837).jpg

So the magnifying glass and chain are from Tiffany & Co.. Glass is chipped but that's okay.

The spoon and fork depict a bear, fox and hare, and are (inscribed) dated 1938, maker David Andersen Norway.
The perfume decanter is by Whiting Mfg. Co.

IMG_6493 (1280x1059).jpg

The clown is worth about $25-$35 without a box in good working condition.

IMG_6532 (719x1280).jpg

Here is the plastic bottom of one of those Towle candle holders.

IMG_6499 (1280x1033).jpg

Here are those 10.5" pink depression candlesticks. Only a glass lover can appreciate these. I paid $10 for them. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/candlesticks-pair-10in-depression-1825677814

IMG_6514 (1280x1250).jpg

And what a great mid century Venetian etched mirrored tray with a twisted lucite (red encased) ribbon border and brass handles. 14.5" diameter mirror. $5? Are you kidding me? lol

IMG_6511 (1280x917).jpg

Here is that box of WW2 dog tags, momentos and such. It includes a small pile of silver coins as well. The bottle openers weren't in the box but I did buy them as well as an ashtray not pictured.

IMG_6535 (1280x895).jpg IMG_6529 (1280x720).jpg

That collar device that's made out of an Aussie penny.

IMG_6540 (1280x721).jpg IMG_6543 (1280x720).jpg

The silver coins

IMG_6554 (1280x1276).jpg

Last but not least are the bolo ties. At least 4 of the 5 are Zuni. I believe the large one with the bear claw may be Navajo. At any rate it's missing a stone, red coral I would presume. Should be a fairly easy fix once the stone is located. I have a matching bear claw ring and pendant already.
The best one of the lot is the one with the drum and drum tips. It is a signed Eddie Beyuka piece. I haven't found this bolo tie yet. I have found 2 sold listings for just the tips. One set sold for $362.09 at auction,
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-signed-eddie-beyuka-zuni-1797415986

the other set recently sold for $305 on ebay,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Pair-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I believe it's worth at least $500-$600.

IMG_6489 (1280x957).jpg

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything you bought was awesome but as soon as I saw the pic with the bolo ties, I knew you seriously scored! Thanks for the story! I love the idea of feeling like I’m right there with you during the hunt!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, photos and items bought...congratulations! :occasion14:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bolos are awesome! What a score!

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the fork and spoon! Can't get enough Scandinavian silver.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome score. Those bolos are killer!! Watch them bear claws. List as faux or you will get them pulled if you put on ebay. Fyi. Had no problem selling them on etsy though.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great score!! I love the story too. For me, the story is half the fun of the hunt. I also think you did well passing on the first three items. You definitely have some great profit there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent scores. Not sure about the clown though. About 10 years ago I was doing business in Tonopah Nevada. It's a pretty unique little place Tonopah is. There was this pawn shop there that had all kinds of treasure of odd and unusual things. As I was there I struck up a conversation with this fella there and I asked where's good place to stay. Well, he said he owns a motel at the end of town and he offered me a heck of a deal. The motel was called the Clown Motel. Well I didn't want to offend him with his offer, so I stayed. The place wasn't really a dive, but it sure did rank up there on the creep meter.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome score. Those bolos are killer!! Watch them bear claws. List as faux or you will get them pulled if you put on ebay. Fyi. Had no problem selling them on etsy though.
Yeah, that's kind of what's kept me from listing the other two pieces I have with bear claws. You're right, they aren't faux but I would have to list it as such. Another stupid ebay hoop to jump through. I don't do Etsy, have they picked up any over the last couple years as far as traffic and sales go?

Excellent scores. Not sure about the clown though. About 10 years ago I was doing business in Tonopah Nevada. It's a pretty unique little place Tonopah is. There was this pawn shop there that had all kinds of treasure of odd and unusual things. As I was there I struck up a conversation with this fella there and I asked where's good place to stay. Well, he said he owns a motel at the end of town and he offered me a heck of a deal. The motel was called the Clown Motel. Well I didn't want to offend him with his offer, so I stayed. The place wasn't really a dive, but it sure did rank up there on the creep meter.
Lol, Clowns get a bad rap nowadays. Between Stephen King, Hollywood and John Wayne Gacy, clowns don't stand a chance in today's scared little Nancy girl society. I had no problem with Bozo the clown when I was a kid, or the ones at Ringling Bros.Circus and what have you.
He will sell. I got that price by other identical clowns that have sold in the past on Worthpoint. Though no identical ones have sold in the past 4 years, they range in price from $40- $69 (with or without the box), with the exception of two that sold at auction for much less. Another reason I don't do auctions on most items, for years now.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to add that Karma was working in your favor. $2 per tie is just awesome!! Letting someone know how to reach more buyers or offering any advice of that nature is a free ticket to a good score! Odd she priced you so high on the first picks. Obviously those items were more in her category/preference and possible attachment.

I picked a Preston Monongye necklace up a while back for $5. Oh the things to look out for...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sold these Heisey Candlesticks for $109.99 and paid for the whole lot.

attachment.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread