Metal Scrapping (not precious)

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep seeing these two dudes in my area driving around at garage sales with a pickup full of junk metal - all sorts of stuff you cannot even imagine (like water heaters, shopping carts, lawn furniture). They also look for picker stuff, but they seem to focus on “big and metal”. At one sale they bought an aluminum canoe that was wrecked and a whole load of old lawn furniture missing the seating or with tears. I asked and they said they thought they would do $1,000 on what they had in the truck so far and probably another $300 on the aluminum.

Is this realistic? Is there a hidden fortune in non precious scrap that I’m missing out on? Also where do you sell it? I see a scrap place near me on google but it say’s “not open to the public”. Anybody do this to add extra profit?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden fortune? No. The upside is most of the stuff is found for free on the side of the road. It's a pain in the rear here in Florida now. Scrap buyers are required to have get copy of your ID and your fingerprints when you sell to them. The state also requires proof of ownership of several different items before you can sell them for scrap.

I've read that the laws have helped reduce theft, but they've also put some folks out of business.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do scrap for a buddy of mine and yes you do need a letterhead from a company to scrap out some of the stuff and yes it can be profitable I’ve made a few hundred bucks in 3 hrs on one load of only three big a/c units and you need all that other stuff finger print drivers license and other days you don’t do so well

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an abundance of scrappers here in SWFL.... so much so that competition is fierce.
If I put a chunk of metal in front of my house, it’s gone in 15 minuets.
I’ve scrapped my old shed, a water heater, and a truck full of old racks from work.... each time I got less than $20.
But if you load up heavy a pickup and a trailer, and do it 5x a week...I bet it’s pretty good money....
The only drawback here is hurricanes... a crazy amount of scrap floods the market, drives the prices down, or so I’ve heard.
As far as scrap metal yards near you, it depends on your location....
if you are in the sticks, might not be worth the gas money.
But if you live in a dirty city like me, no worries, we got 3!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people scrapping here in Nor Cal, I am a field Ironworker foreman and it is a huge problem in some areas, materials being stolen overnight, clean rebar under 4’ brings the most pay. Unbelievable, if they worked at real at a real job as hard as they do at stealing it, they could probably be an asset to society. Jmho.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people scrapping here in Nor Cal, I am a field Ironworker foreman and it is a huge problem in some areas, materials being stolen overnight, clean rebar under 4’ brings the most pay. Unbelievable, if they worked at real at a real job as hard as they do at stealing it, they could probably be an asset to society. Jmho.

Exactly why we have all the tight regulations that went into effect the past couple of years here in Florida. Yes, they have reduced theft, but at what cost? A local scrap yard went out of business because they refused to upload all their customers information to a third party website.

Leadsonline.com is the website. Now, the question is, what do they do with all that personal information?

Here is a post they on facebook when the laws were being enacted:

WHY ARE WE FIGHTING?
December 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM
AWCA Auto Salvage & Recycling in Gulf Breeze is fighting a little known Florida law that requires secondhand dealers (anyone who buys stuff from the public) to turn over their customer’s personal information to the police every day. To make matters worse, Santa Rosa County demands that we comply by turning this data over to a commercially owned and operated website instead of directly to the police.

This website LEADSONLINE.COM is a massive online nationwide database, held and maintained by a for-profit company that makes money by charging police departments for access to the database. The police then spend your tax dollars on a subscription to access the site. Now here’s a little information on what’s wrong with this picture (aside from them using your tax dollars to violate your Fourth Amendment rights):

Every time you access the Leadsonline.com home screen you are greeted by a success story, one of however many that cycle through on repeat (suggesting that their aren’t actually as many success stories as the website would like you to believe). These success stories tell the heartwarming tale of crimes being solved thanks to police access to the data in the leadsonline database. Some item with a serial number was inevitably involved, and through the tracking of this item police are able to nail a suspect in some robbery or crime.

Now obviously we all want crimes solved so that “theoretically” there will be fewer criminals and thereby less crime on our streets. But here’s the catch: the police could accomplish the SAME EXACT results without companies putting all of their customer’s personal information on the site.

The crimes they solve are almost always a case of identifying an item that has a serial number in the leads database. Once they get a hit they have INSTANT access to the suspect’s personal information. That’s great, but that means any potential hackers also have access to that same personal information. Driver’s licenses, home addresses, vehicle information, phone numbers, signatures, and even thumbprints are all up for grabs in this massive database!

Now no one is blind to what’s going on in the news. Everyone in America knows the words “hacker”, “data breach”, and “Identity Theft”. In 2014 alone, we’ve already had 1 million customer records stolen from LexisNexis, 4 million from UPS, 5 million from Gmail, 56 million from Home Depot, 70 million from Target, 76 million from JP Morgan, and 145 million from EBay!

That’s 357 million records hacked from major companies this year! That number is actually low because I’m only citing the most well known companies. There are even more cases of hacking and plenty others that have “lost” sensitive data (the VA laptops that were lost in past years) or had accidental data leaks (like Apple in 2013).

Thankfully most of these compromised records only involved passwords and user information, but of course there have been financial, medical, and sensitive data lost as well.

Now just imagine if Leadsonline were to become a victim to the numerous types of data loss or theft. Their database holds EVERYTHING that a criminal needs to steal someone’s identity. We’re talking a photocopy of their driver’s license, their vehicle information, their signature, and their THUMBPRINT for goodness sake! What’s your financial information compared to your thumbprint? At least finances are insured.

All this risk and Santa Rosa County and Leadsonline are encouraging businesses to subject their customers to these dangers without their consent or even their KNOWLEDGE! As a Deputy pointed out on the Leadsonline marketing material they brought us (as “proof” that Leadsonline is secure), the Frequently Asked Question “Will my customers be aware that I am uploading?” is replied to by Leadsonline with “No – the system does nothing to alert your customers to the manner in which you meet local reporting requirements”.

Granted that’s not an outright call to deceive your customers, but there is certainly no encouragement to disclose what you’re doing with their private information. Governments entities large and small across this great nation are constantly reassuring you that they are determined to protect your right to privacy and yet here they are…demanding we subject your identity to theft online without a warrant.

Now here’s a novel idea. Like I said, the same results could be achieved without risking the identity theft of millions of Americans. Simply omit the personal information! But…but…but…we need it to identify the criminal, they say. Yes you do, but since we put all the other information on leads you know where and when the item was sold and all police have to do is make a quick call/email/drive to the company in question and request the original purchase form.

See? The same exact results could be had without endangering the welfare of innocent customer’s identities. Doesn’t that seem like a fair trade for the minor trouble of police doing a little legwork after using leads to point them in the right direction?

We’re not fighting just to point out the problems with the law and demand the state and county to solve them, we’re fighting for the chance to help remold the laws to reflect the moral and ethical responsibility that we as a business and our county and state as lawmaking entities owe the citizens, a responsibility that we take seriously enough to stake our business and the owner’s incarceration on.

That’s right. We are facing the loss of our business and the owner is facing 5 years in prison for standing up against a law that violates customer’s Fourth Amendment rights to privacy without reasonable cause or warrant, all because an unlawful law wants to sacrifice your right to privacy to make their job easier. But as I mentioned, there is another way, one that makes their job easier while still protecting your privacy. Now it’s time to see if the legal system agrees with us that your Fourth Amendment right to privacy doesn’t have to be sacrificed to catch crooks!

AWCA Auto Salvage & Recycling

AWCA.shutterfly.com

850-934-1642

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal scrapping isnt the easiest way to make a quick buck, let alone a living. Those that do are generally doing so because they have no other options.

I've done really well with it but only as an opportunistic venture and the fact that i have at least 2 scrapyards i deal with monthly for work. My line of work gets me access to lots of scrap brass. Some is ready to scrap while other items require lots of labor with air tools and big wrenches to extract the brass. Since its not how i make a living, i just save it over the course of a year and use the money for Christmas presents.

Knowing the value of scrap metal is handy but unless you have a lot of space to store aluminum, brass, copper and steel, its generally not worth the effort. There are lots of laws on the books which translate to extra scrutiny about how you acquired your scrap. Waiting periods for payment, over a certain dollar amount, unless you are a business are common.

Its a hassle but if you happen to find a large pile of copper piping/aluminum door/window frames & copper wire for free, don't pass it by!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrap metal theft is rampant and about 10 years ago the copper wire theft problem was insane. Tweakers were pulling out wire, in the evening, that was installed that afternoon!! Prices hitting $4.00/lb drove that craze for quite a while.

I saw bronze statutes come into the yard and some idiot stole/cut up the entire bleachers/track hurdles from a local high school. The scrap yard owner told him it was going to take a while to count out his payday so he would stick around. What he didn't tell him was that the cops were on their way to have a little chat with Mr. Scrapper

I've had items stolen off jobsites when my guys were in the room but making trips to the window to off load the boomlift. Luckily they checked the roll off dumpster and found our valves sitting just inside the door. Somebody wasn't going to get their $20.00 evening beer money that day and it would of cost us north of $400.00 to replace it

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep seeing these two dudes in my area driving around at garage sales with a pickup full of junk metal - all sorts of stuff you cannot even imagine (like water heaters, shopping carts, lawn furniture). They also look for picker stuff, but they seem to focus on “big and metal”. At one sale they bought an aluminum canoe that was wrecked and a whole load of old lawn furniture missing the seating or with tears. I asked and they said they thought they would do $1,000 on what they had in the truck so far and probably another $300 on the aluminum.

Is this realistic? Is there a hidden fortune in non precious scrap that I’m missing out on? Also where do you sell it? I see a scrap place near me on google but it say’s “not open to the public”. Anybody do this to add extra profit?

You got an estimate of just how much Iron ie, water heaters , Stove , pipe, Nails ,etc.?

If the Canoe weighed 50 lbs & has no steel pieces or Screws or plastic , at my scrap yard "Today" I'd expect 40 cent a pound for the canoe. & 5-9 cent a lb for scrap steel.

Prices are down at this time ,

Brass & Copper is where it's at but they are a tad low today but much better than in say 2002.

In NY , I get everything is more expensive ; how much for gas right now 'avg' ; It 's about $2.70 -2.79 a gal as of 2 days ago.

Also they have to split their $.

Again $1000 for Iron ??? They must have had a bunch or RR Track , but that would be the RR's property.
Dump Truck ?

Just my 2 cent .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden fortune? No. The upside is most of the stuff is found for free on the side of the road. It's a pain in the rear here in Florida now. Scrap buyers are required to have get copy of your ID and your fingerprints when you sell to them. The state also requires proof of ownership of several different items before you can sell them for scrap.

I've read that the laws have helped reduce theft, but they've also put some folks out of business.

Similar laws here in GA, I tried to scrap a Catalytic Converter off my step Dads truck , but they wanted proof I had bought another one or have the Title somethin like that. ?

ID's is required for beer cans even + you get a Check of cash the next business day.

Crazy the New Copper & Pipe I used to see people unloading around 2001-2004 ...Brand new but little or no oversight back then , I was thrilled when Bare Bright Wire hit $1 a pound , I got $4.20 or so in 2011 for BB.
Now $2,20 i'm guessing. 'Still much better than a Dollar a pound.

You need to know yr metal types as well that will help a-lot.
again my 2 cent

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear Ya. Heck they were even stealing the Sewer Lids, Funny Somebody was buying them & the hundreds of bronze Vases from Grave Sites. + all the Catalytic Converters that were saw-sawed of fleet trucks over the weekend or Holidays .
There are some honest scrap yards but many 'Owners' are crooked & likely involved in organized crime.

A couple years ago I wondered why some 10 miles of Pole mounted on the Median wall on I 75 4-7 lanes each direction were not on, I asked a friend who is city power guy what was the deal ?

He said all the Wiring was stolen , This would take a bucket truck , block the fast lane on an interstate patrolled by 4 different State agency's. ???

Then there was a whole Tractor trailer or 2 filled with brand new wire from 'Southern Wire' that likely ended up in China.

Hundreds of similar cases just in the Atlanta metro.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an abundance of scrappers here in SWFL.... so much so that competition is fierce.
If I put a chunk of metal in front of my house, it’s gone in 15 minuets.
I’ve scrapped my old shed, a water heater, and a truck full of old racks from work.... each time I got less than $20.
But if you load up heavy a pickup and a trailer, and do it 5x a week...I bet it’s pretty good money....
The only drawback here is hurricanes... a crazy amount of scrap floods the market, drives the prices down, or so I’ve heard.
As far as scrap metal yards near you, it depends on your location....
if you are in the sticks, might not be worth the gas money.
But if you live in a dirty city like me, no worries, we got 3!

I got 4 within 15 min , 3 are Big , one was a Start-up in 2000 or so , now the have a Shredder that takes whole cars & much heavy equipment . I helped pay for. lol

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
In 2007 scrap was at 200 a ton and 220 for "prep", stuff under 4' long and not over 1' wide. I hauled a whole goose neck trailer load. Some REAL heavy pipe used for well drilling and buckets of nuts/bolts etc.. Brought 600 bucks or so. Dad had died and was cleaning up the farm for Mom. The meth head scrappers were going to farmers and asking to clean out the ditches where they had hauled the old farm equipment years before. Some didn't even take the time to ask. The farmer would go check on the back 40 and all the scrap was gone. There was a mountain of scrap at the local yard. 8 yrs later the yard is closed and if you want to sell any you drive 30 miles. Last I head scrap was around 100 per ton now. A guy with a pickup going in front of the trash man on pickup day getting anything metal from the curb for free might make beer money after gas but doubt they'd make much of a living. Rodbuster had a point about them working less hard at a job but then they wouldn't pass the drug test to get the job. Good luck

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear Ya. Heck they were even stealing the Sewer Lids, Funny Somebody was buying them & the hundreds of bronze Vases from Grave Sites. + all the Catalytic Converters that were saw-sawed of fleet trucks over the weekend or Holidays .
There are some honest scrap yards but many 'Owners' are crooked & likely involved in organized crime.

A couple years ago I wondered why some 10 miles of Pole mounted on the Median wall on I 75 4-7 lanes each direction were not on, I asked a friend who is city power guy what was the deal ?

He said all the Wiring was stolen , This would take a bucket truck , block the fast lane on an interstate patrolled by 4 different State agency's. ???

Then there was a whole Tractor trailer or 2 filled with brand new wire from 'Southern Wire' that likely ended up in China.

Hundreds of similar cases just in the Atlanta metro.

Some of the stories told by scrapyard owners and equipment suppliers can really blow your mind. I work in Waterworks so lots of valves, hydrants and pressure reducing assemblies with lots of brass involved. One idiot with a cordless sawzall can do thousands in damage, in just minutes, for a minuscule payday. Its more work for us but the customer just gets reamed with no recourse.

I've heard of guys dressing up as construction workers just to be able to steal in broad daylight

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I worked in Miami for several months after hurricane Andrew doing new construction plumbing. Lots of the neighborhoods we worked in had 6-8' block walls all the way around with security at the entrance. It wasn't uncommon to install copper water pipe one day and have it missing when we came back the next to finish up & test. I was sent to one job to hook up a refrigerator and dishwasher that had been delivered the day before. When we got there the back door had been kicked in and the fridge was missing. You could see the scrape marks on the block wall where it was lifted over.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money is good in scrap here in Oklahoma but I guess it depends on where your at....I scrap about 3-4 times a month. A load here and there of free stuff and I can bring in several hundred extra a load.....

Aspieguy84

Greenie
Feb 10, 2018
Northern Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to own a 1 ton truck, 2-20 ft trailers, a forklift a 1000sqft workshop, full time guy and a part time guy. Now its just me a astro van and small trailer. I do ok. I work a "real job", 3 days a week. Deliver newspapers 1 night a week. Buy sell stuff. And scrap. Just took a load in yesterday. Had 37 lbs of bright&shiny. Got $87. For just the wire. Took my wife and daughter to lunch and a Museum yesterday.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
When prices were high a few years back I did well. Certainly laws are diff state to state. Also shops vary big time on "How much disassembling required", what they take, prices paid, blah blah. I finally settled on a place with easy access. i can back my truck right up to the place (muddy/dusty depending on weather.). Best part, paid in cash. For me it was always play money after, such as a dinner, few bucks to the kids, gas money etc,, had some $1000+ p/u load trips back then. :)
I'll still pickup some if it's free and higher value. Regular metal stuff, not worth the gas/effort, IMO. May sound interesting, but between gathering, storing for a good load, lots and lots of time cutting, as well as the wife always *****ing about the clutter and driveway mess from separating into types . But she had no problem taking some [emoji383] after. 🙄

Never-mind loading and the inevitable scratches to my Raptor [emoji35]. Nough said!

Ref thieves- Living in an seaside beach community, a good number of them thieves would go under a "summer place" and strip the copper piping. Leaving returning I owners with one big $ headache!
I still gather occasionally, but can't recommend trying it (scrapping).

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall I think i’ll pass unless I stumble across a big pile of copper or brass. Sounds like too much trouble to me. Thanks for all ur responses. Kind of disappointing, but it is what it is.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to scrap pretty heavily back in 2009-2012, and made pretty decent money at it. Competition for curbside metal was always fierce so I wouldn't usually drive around looking for it, but instead would park and clean out creeks, ravines, hillsides and banks of rivers, which are loaded with junk in older populated areas. Since I was always hiking around looking for antique bottle dumps, fossils, artifacts etc. anyway I figured I might as well make money off all the metal I formerly passed by. Best day was 364 bucks worth of nonferrous that had been illegally dumped in a ravine after a recent house gutting and remodel, but when collecting iron I'd usually make 120-140 cash a day. Hard work but honest, good for the environment and suitable for someone who doesn't like being cooped up indoors.

A few weeks ago I was scrounging for bottles at a c. 1950 dump and in the creek nearby found a small catalytic converter, a big chunk of cast aluminum and piece of nonmagnetic stainless, which represented an easy 58 bucks at the scrapyard literally 1 mile away. While hauling rusty re-bar from creeks all day probably doesn't sound appealing to most, it's worth keeping your eye open for easy nonferrous scores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread