Japanese ivory(?) inlay box - what is it? + Help with Kanji

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this yesterday and had to have it. Craftsmanship is mind-blowing for such a small and seemingly practical item. I think it’s an eyeglass case or maybe a food service item? Anyone come across one of these before? What are they called?

Also, help deciphering the abundant Japanese is appreciated... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532017238.362785.jpg

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
I consulted with my wife (Japanese speaker) she said the first pic says "Good Luck." The rest she could not read. She thinks this may be Chinese. Based off the etching on the first pic I would agree with her. My guess is that its a calligraphy box.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it. I would have thought glasses case also. Whatever it is it’s in real shape. Good eye. Congrats

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking more closely, the lettering might be some kind of simplified Chinese. But, to me, the art looks Japanese... something about the line work and angularity of the figure, plus her style of dress... but could be Chinese as well. Getting a lot of opinions on this, will keep digging.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m just not seeing the mind blowing craftsmanship. The scrimshaw looks low quality and looks like bone instead of ivory. The wood has been machine routed inside and that is a sign that it is a modern piece. Search for “Chinese bone snuff box” and you will see some similar examples.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m just not seeing the mind blowing craftsmanship. The scrimshaw looks low quality and looks like bone instead of ivory. The wood has been machine routed inside and that is a sign that it is a modern piece. Search for “Chinese bone snuff box” and you will see some similar examples.
I agree. Not ivory but bone. Made in the last 50 years or so. I do think they are for sunglasses though. Chinese ones.
Vintage Chinese Glasses Case w/ Folding Sunglasses
11727392_2m.jpg
11727392_1m.jpg
11727392_3m.jpg

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Not ivory but bone. Made in the last 50 years or so. I do think they are for sunglasses though. Chinese ones.
Vintage Chinese Glasses Case w/ Folding Sunglasses
11727392_2m.jpg
11727392_1m.jpg
11727392_3m.jpg

Those are the EXACT glasses I imagined fitting in there... thanks for the link.

And allow me to refine my statement about “mind-blowing quality”... let’s say “mind blowing quality for something found in a $2 junk pile.” Also, I think mine has the number of inlays and engraving quality on other examples available online beat... not a masterpiece by any stretch, but very pleased with the sales prices I’m seeing. Thanks for all your help everyone! Case closed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread