Large Foundry / Smelting Crucible

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I went to a Yard Sale today & I purchased this. I believe it is an older Foundry Crucible used in smelting. I am thinking the material is some type of ceramic or graphite. This measures around 24" inches in height & weighs around 90 lbs. The owner stated he had purchased this in Eureka, NV around 30 years ago. I paid a reasonable price of $75 for it.

Does anyone have any info on these such as age, material used to construct & value. We are not selling it. I believe the age has to be around 1900 or so. If anyone has any useful info about antique mining crucibles, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Jim

DSC09089.JPG

DSC09093.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Seems large for a mining crucible doesn't it? Not that I know anything about them. I agree it probably used in a foundry for casting lead or aluminum or some other metal maybe.

OP
OP
S

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Seems large for a mining crucible doesn't it? Not that I know anything about them. I agree it probably used in a foundry for casting lead or aluminum or some other metal maybe.

Thanks for your comments. You hit it with the Lead casting. I looked up the history of Eureka, NV, & Lead was the main mineral that was processed. I have lived in Nevada pretty much my entire life. I always thought Gold or Silver was the main mineral that was extracted & processed. I learned a little about Nevada mining history today. Have a good day. Jim.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Graphite, the glazing is a result of borax being melted in it when red hot. This produces a glassine lining that helps conduct heat, absorb impurities and protect the crucible from heat erosion. Usually only large quantities of precious metals or ores are processed in this size crucible because of it's need to be heated uniformly, as in an oven. The burned hole in the side is probably from someone who tried to use it with a torch instead.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an awesome piece for decorating something. Or at least my idea of decorating anyway.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe those were used in a smaller gold and silver smelting operations. I do a lot of business with the gold mines in northern NV and not far from our shop in Carlin, Nevada is this old dome brick smelter and inside it was splattered with molten silica slag like you see on your crucible. The little smaller ones were used to assay the ore. Here's a picture of an old small op smelter of the past. The remains of these type of old smelters are scattered throughout the mining regions of the western US

Attachments

• 21895656-old-brick-gold-smelting-furnace-near-helena-montana.jpg
    21895656-old-brick-gold-smelting-furnace-near-helena-montana.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 122

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, I'm planning to go through Eureka Nevada week after next. I believe at one time copper was also mined on a larger scale in Eureka along with gold and silver. I'll see if I can find out anything more about that item you have. I think I saw one like it in Eureka at a little museum they've got with some old mining equipment and relics outside, but maybe I'm thinking of some other little old mine town like Eureka?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Graphite, the glazing is a result of borax being melted in it when red hot. This produces a glassine lining that helps conduct heat, absorb impurities and protect the crucible from heat erosion. Usually only large quantities of precious metals or ores are processed in this size crucible because of it's need to be heated uniformly, as in an oven. The burned hole in the side is probably from someone who tried to use it with a torch instead.
Huh! Graphite. I always assumed these old crucibles, were pretty much made with the same material and way they make fire bricks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the comments! Good info that I appreciate. For the price I paid, I could not go wrong with purchasing this. When deciding about buying, one question I always ask myself if I will ever see another one. Chances are I never will. If you like mining stuff like me & many others. this was a no-brainer. It looked like a crucible cup that was on steroids.

The size & overall good condition of the Crucible is what to me really makes it stand out. As for toxicity, I always wear gloves when handling, & I have no intentions of using it to cook a big batch of Crab legs. 8-).

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find...wonder if you could make a waterfall display with it? :occasion14:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what I call a Flier. I have no idea what it is worth, but I am pretty sure it is worth a LOT more than I paid for it. Generally, I won't spend more than $5 on a flier, generally more like $1. I can see this as a decorative item, but if it MAY have been used in a lead mine, you shouldn't use it as a planter (it will pollute the soil and the plant, and the water that runs off).

While it is certainly cool and likely worth more than you paid, I can't say that I would buy it. I tend to run on the 10 to 1, 20 to 1 ratio. If I buy something to sell on Amazon, I won't pay less than $2, and it must be worth more than $20. Anything less than that isn't worth my time or storage. For Ebay, I won't spend more than $2, and it must sell for more than $40.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those ,about half that size by an old smelter in the Cripple Creek mining dist back in the early 80s . It had gold splattered on the sides and inside,,,,, turned out to be holding 1 5/8ths of an oz. Congrats on a great mining relic !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread