17"+ Large European Copper Water Jug? Help!

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this at an estate sale that was all modern household stuff and Christmas stuff. I do well with vintage barware and thought it might be some unusual bar piece. My next thought was that it was a modern Big Lots / Target designed planter or something. When I looked closer, I saw that it was all copper with a small brass piece. I asked if they knew what it was and the owner said it was for putting out fires with ash or something. I got it for $4 figuring that I could easily make it back in scrap copper if it turned out to be junk. It also has that 1970's home décor look.

It is 17"+ tall with a 10.5" diameter base.

I can't find a makers mark.

I have been googling for two days and can't find anything like it.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If the designs are to be any guide, this seems Austria (with the two headed eagle and the architecture).
IMG_0001_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0002_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0003_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0005_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0007_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0008_edited-1.jpg

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s modern. At least some parts are hand repousse - like the architectural scene. Yeah Austria (or that general area) makes sense. I’m gonna say 1880s or earlier.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17"+ Large European Copper Water Jug? Help!

One that has the same general shape as yours (and an eagle like that coincidentally) is identified on “beerstein.net” as being from the 1700s - so maybe a lot earlier.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice find.Congrats :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s modern. At least some parts are hand repousse - like the architectural scene. Yeah Austria (or that general area) makes sense. I’m gonna say 1880s or earlier.

Thanks. Using "repousse" in my searches has helped turn up some similar jugs/ewers (usually brass), but nothing close to the design on the one I found.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That things pretty wild.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good find: the design of that jug/stein/ewer/pitcher is very, very similar (except for its lack of detailed designs and its missing the brass knob). Your guess about 1880's or before looks pretty dang close. Their stein is actually marked. I messaged the sellers to see what size theirs is. I can't imagine carrying beer in this; it has to be able to hold two gallons or more.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a tough one. All the coat of arms I found showed the double headed eagle holding a sword and an orb. Neither of those look like an orb on the stein. Then I found this one, Franz Joseph, emperor of Austria (1848—1916): austria_joseph.jpg

I have no idea about the demon (or whatever it is).

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it just because of the werewolf creature. I am sure you can make a good bit of money on it though. I have not seen anything like it, it's cool.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a tough one. All the coat of arms I found showed the double headed eagle holding a sword and an orb. Neither of those look like an orb on the stein. Then I found this one, Franz Joseph, emperor of Austria (1848—1916):

I have no idea about the demon (or whatever it is).

You are right about the crest; it is usually an orb. Good chance it was added as cool decoration not as piece for court.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller of the similar shaped one on eBay couldn't give me exact measurements, but it seems to be the same size as mine just lacks the decor. I feel confident that they come from the same maker, but I have the deluxe one!
I hadn't thought of the that creature as a werewolf, but I see it now and concur.
I probably won't get much closer on this, but I feel pretty good about it now. I am confident that it is European (most likely Austrian or made for sale in Austria) and from the late 1800's or early 1900's and includes a Habsburg crest, griffin and werewolf. What a weird piece.
Thanks for all the help. I'll be keeping this one.

OldWest

Aug 23, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure looks like a beer stein to me, though an ancient one. The shape surely is reminiscent of modern designs. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many of these still around. Steins have a tendency to last a long time, being heirlooms etc. Very cool!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
link to ebay if you post it for sale, please. I'd like to watch it... Cool find

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Eagle is either Austria - Hungary or Russia.

Ruling Russia out since they dont have much romantic mountaintop castles, I vote for Austria

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about the crest; it is usually an orb. Good chance it was added as cool decoration not as piece for court.

I was not suggesting it was used at court, just looking for a corresponding crest to narrow the date.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like a beer stein to me, though an ancient one. The shape surely is reminiscent of modern designs. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many of these still around. Steins have a tendency to last a long time, being heirlooms etc. Very cool!

I agree. It looks very like a stein...a giant 17" one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread