Vintage Bourbon and Jewelry this Morning!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My morning started early with my first stop being the absolute best. The guy had a garage stuffed with old liquor advertising, mostly new in the sealed boxes. I ended up with a ton and got to talking with him as I searched. It was mentioned that there are lots of bottles inside and if I was interested in bourbon, he would bring out what he has.

This was the only one he had but I happily bought it. Old Weller Original 107 that probably dates to 1970s. Estimates are easily into $1000 range. I’m just struggling with not drinking it lol.

The jewelry was a quarter and I’m curious to know if the earring is a real diamond or a CZ. It’s mounted on 14k so I’ll have to see if a jeweler can tell me. The mom pendant is 14k.

The rest of my day is going to be spent sorting and photographing the signage. If there are any bourbon fans on here, let me know. I have a box of shot glasses I plan on selling and I’ll happily give members the first shot.

Attachments

• BCDE2EF1-0FE8-41E0-8229-11C03B942E14.jpeg
    BCDE2EF1-0FE8-41E0-8229-11C03B942E14.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • 60A0BF99-1624-4FD8-97CB-90BB4B168D0C.jpeg
    60A0BF99-1624-4FD8-97CB-90BB4B168D0C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • 3EFA118A-664D-480C-A8C5-AA5A99F64E40.jpeg
    3EFA118A-664D-480C-A8C5-AA5A99F64E40.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason that I look at the spirits at estate sales. Even though I don't drink. I have that same MOM pendant in my gold stash.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, if you're a burbon guy, drink it and enjoy it. I would. (Unless it turned out to be rotgut garbage.) :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice purchase...should be a buyer for the "Old Weller"! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yess, there will be. I have to create an account on a liquor auction site and then hopefully I can sell it.

As much as I want to drink it, I think I’m covered for now. Weller is great stuff but for the money, I’ll take the cash and buy some bottles of new stuff. It doesn’t age in the bottle.

Besides, I’m running out of space in my bar......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would drink it too - unless it’s crazy valuable.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know where and how to sell Liquor? I have found some great stuff and I don't drink. On some of them, I could empty the contents down the drain, and sell the empty bottle for 20 or 30 times what I paid for the full bottle...

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure,

Let me know what you have and I’ll come pick it up from your house using my own bottles lol. Actually, I’ll be in the valley this weekend so Thousand Oaks isn’t that far away.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yess, there will be. I have to create an account on a liquor auction site and then hopefully I can sell it.

As much as I want to drink it, I think I’m covered for now. Weller is great stuff but for the money, I’ll take the cash and buy some bottles of new stuff. It doesn’t age in the bottle.

Besides, I’m running out of space in my bar......

Exactly, makes you wonder what people are thinking spending that kind of money on a bottle.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure,

Let me know what you have and I’ll come pick it up from your house using my own bottles lol. Actually, I’ll be in the valley this weekend so Thousand Oaks isn’t that far away.

If you want to go out Saturday morning, I'm there. I may go to Burbank this weekend.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received my auction estimate for the bottle. £550-700:occasion14::occasion14:

This calls for a celebratory drink....of something else besides that bottle.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While I like a few different Bourbons, I would much rather drink Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 year and 18 year old Rums. They are dark rums made from Sugar Cane and are great either drinking it on the rocks or with Coca Cola. Ron Matusalem Rums began their life in Cuba but during the Cuban Revolution, the family was exiled. I am not sure of the total history but was told they moved to Puerto Rico taking their' original Vats with them. The Distillery was later reopened in the Dominican Republic and again began making world winning Rums. I grant you that they have made changes to the Gran Reserva line of rums from what they were in the 1980's but it is still one of the finest Rums that will ever grace your' lips and tonsils.

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 Year Old Rum 750ml

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, makes you wonder what people are thinking spending that kind of money on a bottle.

There are lots of reasons. But one of the mains one is that the juice in these old bottles isn't replicated today. Many bourbons even up through the 80s during the bouron glut were much older than stated on their bottles, Old Granddad being a good example.

This bottle in particular is worth so much because it was bottled from the Stitzel Weller distillery. If you haven't heard of that, you will have heard of Pappy Van Winkle which was originally bottled there as well. That is why it is worth so much.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of reasons. But one of the mains one is that the juice in these old bottles isn't replicated today. Many bourbons even up through the 80s during the bouron glut were much older than stated on their bottles, Old Granddad being a good example.

This bottle in particular is worth so much because it was bottled from the Stitzel Weller distillery. If you haven't heard of that, you will have heard of Pappy Van Winkle which was originally bottled there as well. That is why it is worth so much.

Oh yes, i'm well aware of SWD and Pappy. If i get lucky once a year, i'm offered a bottle of PVW Family Reserve 23 year from a nearby liquor vendor i frequently shop at. He goes easy on me and its only priced at $600.00 a bottle. It sounds outrageous but when the secondary market is 4x that price, its a deal.

The bottle i found was a bit late to be made by Julian Van Winkle which really makes the price go up but im not going to complain. Its going to be a hoot to see it auction off and ill be happy with the results.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People paying boucoup bucks for vintage, high quality burbon to stick it in a case and look at it..... okaaay then. Don't ask me to understand.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigcaddy-

The Bourbon Secondary Market group on Facebook would be another way to do it. You have to put some more trust into it- they may ask you to ship first (ask for vouches before sending), but you wouldn't have to pay the auction premiums.

That's old Stitzel-Weller bourbon, very hyped nowadays. I'd love to get my hands on some but it's out of my price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread