Vintage handmade steam engine deer in the headlight look!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exactly my look from when I bought it. The previous owner told me that it did work. In my desire to move on to next sale, I forgot to ask him how to make it work. I'm not mechanically inclined. Does anybody know? I would like to test it before I sell it. I sincerely appreciate your time and help. Thanks.

artslinger 20180922_214506.jpg 20180922_214512.jpg 20180922_214519.jpg 20180922_214531.jpg 20180922_214539.jpg 20180922_214558.jpg

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion, if you're not mechanically inclined is not to try it yourself. Antique steam engines are rather unstable and can explode. Corrosion can weaken the main reservoir or stop up the safety valve. If it worked before it doesn't mean it'll work today. If you want someone knowledgeable, wait until the next antique tractor shows- they'd be likely to help
HH
-GC

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are cool! I've owned them, and still have a couple boxed up somewhere. I Love this kind of stuff!!

I'll look at your pics closer and post back. There is stuff that you put in them and light. You have to make sure everything is clean. There is a safety blow off usually. You have to clean and oil that to make sure it works.

There is usually a little tray or some kind of compartment below the tank. You put water in the tank and light this stuff(can't remember the name) ...It burns , heats up the water, and runs! You can still buy it. We made a mess out of my living room one night fling hot water all over, burning ourselves, but it's a blast!!!

They were kids toys. They had belts that ran other things, like little people working saws, or what ever. I have a few if I could get to them easily I'd post some pics. They had spring type belts and you could build a whole lay out. Something similar to how you build a train set. I've seen one complete layout ever...But you do see the engines. That engine would run accessories or could be played with by it's self. The spring belt went on the small grooved pulley off of the flywheel(big round smooth thing that spins). Some of the accessories are harder to find than the engines. Like I mentioned I've only ever seen one basement layout in a private collection and there is hardly anything online showing them.

Added, After looking at your pics that may need a little work before trying it. The label was below the tank, you can see where it's missing. I'm not sure where the burner is. It may have set over an electric coil even.

If you look around online You will probably find the exact one and who made it. Some of them were made in Germany. Again I don't remember the name....As soon as I get back home I'll try to look a little deeper.

Very cool find!!! I'd love to own that!! It looks like a better made piece.

added....Back home and didn't want to post again I just added it here.
This is the brand I believe yours is.

http://www.thecobbs.com/auction-2011-10-15-lot-89.html

No doubt that it's a Weeden
http://www.antiquetoys.com/product/weeden-steam-engine-for-sale-1920s/

Pics from the same company...It was a U.S company competing with Germany on this type of toy.
http://www.weedensteam.com/

Yours is a little different, it has the governor on it . (The spiny thing with the balls). But same idea I believe yours is #14, but not positive. Looks like your missing the tray to light the stuff(still can't remember the name, Esbit?). Easy enough to make. You can probably find one on Ebay. I also see there are still some parts available. Your also missing the sight glass that goes on the front of the tank. I believe you can still get those too. So, it needs a little work.

Sorry if half of that post makes no sense, I kept adding to it as I found info...:laughing7: I searched for one of these type of engines for years, before Ebay, Now that we have Ebay stuff comes up all the time and isn't as priced as high as it was years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much to all. I truly appreciate it. Special thanks to Nitric for all of the valuable information, the links, and youtube video. They seem to be a lot of fun, even for an adult! :-) After the explosion references, you're not going to see me trying this. Don't want to blow up the house, that's for sure. Thanks again, it is truly appreciated.

artslinger

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much to all. I truly appreciate it. Special thanks to Nitric for all of the valuable information, the links, and youtube video. They seem to be a lot of fun, even for an adult! :-) After the explosion references, you're not going to see me trying this. Don't want to blow up the house, that's for sure. Thanks again, it is truly appreciated.

artslinger

Who cares about a little explosion...Just make sure you get a video for youtube! Oil it up, put water in it, and put fire under the tank! Do it in the driveway! :laughing7: You have time to get away before it blows, the water has to heat up. It's not going to just explode and take out the house, just don't have any kids or your nose down to it.:laughing7: The more water that's in it the less explosion you'l have, more like a pop.It was a kids toy! Where you have to worry is you have very little water and it has a lot of air room. We had hot water flying all over the living room, fire, burning ourselves laughing like little kids...My wife and I use to have bottle rocket wars in the house too, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.:laughing7:

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really neat find. If you get it working please post an update.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artslinger...Do you Ebay your stuff? The reason why I'm asking is that I noticed you said "Test it before I sell"....If you put stuff on Ebay I'd watch the auction and may possibly bid. I'm not sure how the rules are about posting an Ebay link or name but your welcome to send it in a PM, if it's against rules to post in here.

Not trying to talk you out of it or make any offers, I'd participate in an Ebay Auction though...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you got to tip it over!
Kidding, that is one cool find, keep us posted with a video if you can, when you get it up and running.
Carl

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Who cares about a little explosion....My wife and I use to have bottle rocket wars in the house too, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.:laughing7:

That's Arfin' hilarious! Shoulda seen the look on my wife's face when she ran into our detached garage, sleepy-eyed and morning hair asking me, through the smoke in the garage if she had just heard an explosion. Then seen the anger building as she realized that the explosion was actually in OUR garage! I was making biodiesel and had hit the switch for the heater element instead of the pump. Thankfully I heard the building pressure hissing through an open valve and managed to duck before the lid blew on the tank. Moral of the story? Don't be afraid of a little explosion. Be afraid of the big ones!

I'd like to have that engine too. Who knows, maybe I can convert it to biodiesel!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Arfin' hilarious! Shoulda seen the look on my wife's face when she ran into our detached garage, sleepy-eyed and morning hair asking me, through the smoke in the garage if she had just heard an explosion. Then seen the anger building as she realized that the explosion was actually in OUR garage! I was making biodiesel and had hit the switch for the heater element instead of the pump. Thankfully I heard the building pressure hissing through an open valve and managed to duck before the lid blew on the tank. Moral of the story? Don't be afraid of a little explosion. Be afraid of the big ones!

I'd like to have that engine too. Who knows, maybe I can convert it to biodiesel!!

When I first moved to this neighborhood I met a guy down the street that built a diesel motorcycle with a turbo. He was working on converting it to biodiesel.He said he would be able to make it from here in GA to Cinci. OH on 3 gallons of fuel. I thought, "Oh hell ya!! I'm going to like this neighborhood." He was an engineer and The bike looked good, it didn't look like some back yard hillbilly thing I would have come up with. It was cool, I was going up and listening to him and checking out the bike about once a week. Then....He moved back to Ohio! I was heart broken! I never did get to see the thing finished.:laughing7:

I want a 12 valve cummins to play with.

They make miniature engines too! Mini V8's and Diesels. They are so cool, they look like the real thing but go cart sized. They are very expensive...Like 10grand expensive or more.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I love that kinda stuff too

Top Member Reactions