Sterling silver arrowhead brooch? I’m not sure what this is.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So anyone have an idea what this might be? I believe it’s Native American. It has the look and the style. But I’m not sure of the thing in the center is bone, or what. It’s cold to the touch. 4 3/4” long. Looks hand made. Signed AIS sterling. Need some ideas, I’m not really sure.

View attachment 1651046
View attachment 1651047
View attachment 1651048
View attachment 1651049
View attachment 1651050
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541915112.661100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541915126.684846.jpg

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool!! Some of the photos aren’t coming through though. Just a bit of searching has shown me that AIS is a Mexico silversmith. There is also a danish Smith with AIS but I don’t think that’s a danish piece. I didn’t see anything wit AIS in the Native American silver website so for now I’m going to say that it’s Mexican sterling and bone. Beautiful piece as well. Great find!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it's a genuine bone or tusk artifact of some kind that was mounted in silver and meant to be displayed as a piece of jewelry. I've seen jewelry like that where they took a piece of very old pottery and mounted it in silver as a pendant or brooch. I don't believe it's a native American artifact, but something maybe found in Africa or another region of the world, though I wouldn't rule out that it may have come from the very northern regions of Canada or Pacific NW, where you'd find Inuit artifacts made of bone or tusk. Somebody thought it was worth preserving in the matter it is for what ever reason.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In doing a little online looking, I did find this item with little circles engraved in it, made of ivory by Dinka people.

Attachments

• 509f59737577a351dde2ff99845be9a8.jpg
    509f59737577a351dde2ff99845be9a8.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks for the help. Seeing the photo you put up, it does look kinda similar. The circles don’t go through the piece. Except for the top one has a hole to be worn as a pendant I’m assuming before it was set in sterling.

My mom has one piece that is wolly mammoth set in sterling. Cant remember what it looks like though. Wonder if its that?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks really old and worn down, as if it was something found out in the elements. It was a tiny circles that made me first think African. Really no telling how old the amulet is, but my hunch says it's over 100 yrs and maybe beyond that by 200 yrs or more??. My guess is it was maybe made from a deceased elephant ivory, but I'm only thinking that by the yellowish color. Some of the ivory jewelry I have is very white in color and most likely taken from a killed elephant.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting piece! :icon_thumleft:

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a bone amulet/pendant and the images I find that almost match it exactly suggest Ethiopia. If you Google Ethiopian bone amulet this (and other extremely similar) image comes up...

Unknown.jpeg

Unfortunately it then takes you to Pinterest - the land where links/attribution often go to die. :^(

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good I.D. WH as that about nails it. Where and who mounted it is the next question?. AIS Sterling is not a maker I'm familiar with.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a bone amulet/pendant and the images I find that almost match it exactly suggest Ethiopia. If you Google Ethiopian bone amulet this (and other extremely similar) image comes up...

View attachment 1651187

Unfortunately it then takes you to Pinterest - the land where links/attribution often go to die. :^(

Wow you did really good! I will have to do some research on that. I think my wife has a Pinterest account but I Never have much luck on that site either. Thank you very much though for your help.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member