My new oldest & most obscure James Avery find yet

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it out to the big local flea last weekend and somewhat recklessly dropped about 50 bucks on a few sub-$1 actually-picked items and then every container of mixed jewelry I came across (with no apparent concern for whether there was anything of worth in any of them, lol). I probably pretty much broke even up front just on little scrappy Au & Ag, and I'll consign close to 100 "nicer" costume pieces for $1-5 each and maybe sell half that. It's just not the most exciting treasure I ever hunted, which is why I was so pleased to pull this sterling key chain out of the middle of the last bag of junk.

The shield design is one they've rolled out as recently as the last decade or two but based on the back this appears to be a piece commissioned for a centennial celebrated in 1968! I'm going to email the company today to see if they can give me any more info and also to find out if it's possible to access the catalog archive (which dates back to the fifties) if I go out to Kerrville. Just wanted to share with you guys, hope everyone is having a happy new year so far & happy hunting! 20190114_101336.jpg 20190114_101239.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. JA wants money to do research. I found a JA cross that was larger-than-normal and looked as if it was made more hands on then today's mass produced pieces. Even the Candelabra mark was much larger than today's. I emailed a photo of it to JA and the woman replied that they would be very happy to research the peace for 12 bucks. That didn't really seem unreasonable to me, but I listed it without the info they may have provided and thinking few a knowledgeable JA collectors will know it's an oldie and bid it up. I think I paid $16 for and it had an unsigned sterling chain which I kept, but the cross only sold for $80, which I was thinking I'd get maybe a lot more out if it. I kinda wished I'd a hung on to that piece, as I'm positive it was an early one, but it's just water under the bridge now like so many other things I've picked up here and there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread