Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: If this were a diamond I would be so happy.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2014
    543 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

If this were a diamond I would be so happy.

Found some nice odds & ends on the second day (30% off) of a sale thrown by my most favorite estate liquidation professionals (I know that sounds sarcastic but I swear it isn't. They are extremely nice and organized and do 4-6 high-end sales a year, almost all of which will have a huge selection of jewelry, much/most will be priced at less than $2, and I often find tons of silver and a little gold even on the last day of a sale). My favorite piece by far is this 14k white & yellow gold solitaire ring. I am flush right now and have been hoarding PMs for a couple of months, therefore no reason to see scrap guys (who are also my "diamond?" guys, I should just get a tester lol) but I'm curious enough that I'll take it to them sometime this week. It's way too flashy for me but it fits like a dream so I have been forced to wear it, something about the super-tall white basket setting is just very appealing. The stone seems to have a slight yellowish/gold tint and is much flashier than any similarly sized costume stone I've encountered. IMO it's still a nice find even if it's not a diamond, it would be pretty neat if it were though.

EDIT: totally forgot to mention, it came out of a "Rings $5" box so cost me $5 less 30%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190205_002133.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	941.2 KB 
ID:	1677709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190205_001912.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1677710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190205_001839.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	1677711
    Last edited by kali_is_my_copilot; Feb 05, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, ATPro and 3 Excals
    1119 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    14k Plumb ring and highly unlikely it is not a diamond but may be moissanite.

us
    Nov 2009
    1173 times
    Nice find on the ring. I agree with toddbbq that it's more than likely a diamond. While this estate liquidation group is your favorite (& would be mine also) they aren't "professionals" by any stretch of the imagination. A professional estate liquidation group has 2 goals. The 1st is to maximize proceeds & the 2nd is to get rid of everything in a limited time period. If you can consistently buy jewelry for pennies on the dollar they are failing at the first part.

us
    Feb 2006
    New York, NY
    Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III)
    1144 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    14k Plumb ring and highly unlikely it is not a diamond but may be moissanite.
    Agreed. If I was a gambling man Iíd say 50 to 1 itís a diamond

us
    Mar 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
    605 times
    Excellent find, and pretty much sure to be a genuine diamond in that setting. I don't know how anyone could pass that one up, and the fact that you got it at a 30 percent discount in a box of cheaply priced jewelry obviously just adds to the elation you must have felt when you realized that you have found something great. Congratulations on a sweet score!

Feb 2014
    543 times
    Honestly the quality didn't even register until I got home and started examining stuff more closely! When I first pulled it out of the box I just noted the 14KP mark and handed it off to go with the rest of my selections. I have been burned enough times by a seller noticing me noticing something that I maintain a pretty solid poker face when I'm on the hunt. I am pretty taken with it though, and right after I made this post I found a very similar ring on Ruby Lane: https://www.rubylane.com/item/514555...ement?search=1 .
    Hawks88 and A2coins like this.

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    1770 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree with the others. I wonder if that setting is white gold, or possibly platinum? I've only found plumb gold a couple of times. The "P" is what throws people off. They see that and think plated.

Sweet find.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    22120 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice find, congratulations!

us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1936 times
    If it was platinum it would be marked PT
    The P does mean plumb and that means it is a full 14K.
    By law a jewelry company can mark 14K but they can really make it 13K. They probably paid off some politicians to pass that law.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    1770 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
    If it was platinum it would be marked PT
    Yes and would be represented as a decimal. I also know what plumb gold is. I was talking about the prongs of the setting only, the color appears white in the photos.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    2275 times
    I disagree Cyberdan. Platinum is used for the prongs for strength and many yellow gold diamond rings have PLAT prongs but only markings are for the gold.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    7451 times
    For what you paid for it. It’s a great find. Congrats

us
    Apr 2014
    Midwest
    1098 times
    Thrift Stores/Ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    I disagree Cyberdan. Platinum is used for the prongs for strength and many yellow gold diamond rings have PLAT prongs but only markings are for the gold.
    Good to know!

us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1936 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GibH View Post
    Yes and would be represented as a decimal.
    Yes, but not always. I was at a yard sale and rummaged through a kid's jewelry box. Found a dull silvery looking band ring. I asked how much and the lady said $1. I paid and happily went to my car to get a better look at the inside. Only two letters PT (so I assumed 95%)
    at yard sales I am dollardan

Apr 2013
    838 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GibH View Post
    I agree with the others. I wonder if that setting is white gold, or possibly platinum? I've only found plumb gold a couple of times. The "P" is what throws people off. They see that and think plated.

Sweet find.
    I remember finding a huge men’s ring with a giant diamond (the ring was a gaudy monstrosity) but it was $1 so I took a shot. After I looked in the band, I saw the 14KP and thought it was plated. Good thing I took it to my jeweler and he educated me on the plumb makings! Unfortunately the stone was a CZ but I learned something that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links