If this were a diamond I would be so happy.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some nice odds & ends on the second day (30% off) of a sale thrown by my most favorite estate liquidation professionals (I know that sounds sarcastic but I swear it isn't. They are extremely nice and organized and do 4-6 high-end sales a year, almost all of which will have a huge selection of jewelry, much/most will be priced at less than $2, and I often find tons of silver and a little gold even on the last day of a sale). My favorite piece by far is this 14k white & yellow gold solitaire ring. I am flush right now and have been hoarding PMs for a couple of months, therefore no reason to see scrap guys (who are also my "diamond?" guys, I should just get a tester lol) but I'm curious enough that I'll take it to them sometime this week. It's way too flashy for me but it fits like a dream so I have been forced to wear it, something about the super-tall white basket setting is just very appealing. The stone seems to have a slight yellowish/gold tint and is much flashier than any similarly sized costume stone I've encountered. IMO it's still a nice find even if it's not a diamond, it would be pretty neat if it were though.

EDIT: totally forgot to mention, it came out of a "Rings $5" box so cost me $5 less 30%.

20190205_002133.jpg 20190205_001912.jpg 20190205_001839.jpg

Last edited:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
14k Plumb ring and highly unlikely it is not a diamond but may be moissanite.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Nice find on the ring. I agree with toddbbq that it's more than likely a diamond. While this estate liquidation group is your favorite (& would be mine also) they aren't "professionals" by any stretch of the imagination. A professional estate liquidation group has 2 goals. The 1st is to maximize proceeds & the 2nd is to get rid of everything in a limited time period. If you can consistently buy jewelry for pennies on the dollar they are failing at the first part.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14k Plumb ring and highly unlikely it is not a diamond but may be moissanite.

Agreed. If I was a gambling man I’d say 50 to 1 it’s a diamond

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, and pretty much sure to be a genuine diamond in that setting. I don't know how anyone could pass that one up, and the fact that you got it at a 30 percent discount in a box of cheaply priced jewelry obviously just adds to the elation you must have felt when you realized that you have found something great. Congratulations on a sweet score!

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly the quality didn't even register until I got home and started examining stuff more closely! When I first pulled it out of the box I just noted the 14KP mark and handed it off to go with the rest of my selections. I have been burned enough times by a seller noticing me noticing something that I maintain a pretty solid poker face when I'm on the hunt. I am pretty taken with it though, and right after I made this post I found a very similar ring on Ruby Lane: https://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-1080/-95-Carat-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement?search=1 .

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. I wonder if that setting is white gold, or possibly platinum? I've only found plumb gold a couple of times. The "P" is what throws people off. They see that and think plated.

Sweet find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, congratulations! :occasion14:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was platinum it would be marked PT
The P does mean plumb and that means it is a full 14K.
By law a jewelry company can mark 14K but they can really make it 13K. They probably paid off some politicians to pass that law.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was platinum it would be marked PT

Yes and would be represented as a decimal. I also know what plumb gold is. I was talking about the prongs of the setting only, the color appears white in the photos.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I disagree Cyberdan. Platinum is used for the prongs for strength and many yellow gold diamond rings have PLAT prongs but only markings are for the gold.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what you paid for it. It’s a great find. Congrats

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and would be represented as a decimal.

Yes, but not always. I was at a yard sale and rummaged through a kid's jewelry box. Found a dull silvery looking band ring. I asked how much and the lady said $1. I paid and happily went to my car to get a better look at the inside. Only two letters PT (so I assumed 95%)

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. I wonder if that setting is white gold, or possibly platinum? I've only found plumb gold a couple of times. The "P" is what throws people off. They see that and think plated.

Sweet find.

I remember finding a huge men’s ring with a giant diamond (the ring was a gaudy monstrosity) but it was $1 so I took a shot. After I looked in the band, I saw the 14KP and thought it was plated. Good thing I took it to my jeweler and he educated me on the plumb makings! Unfortunately the stone was a CZ but I learned something that day.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ring we all try and sometimes we get lucky

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: got around to testing this today and IT IS INDEED A DIAMOND. Tomorrow I'm taking it to the fancy local jeweler I prefer and see what they think, I've never consigned with them because their commission is obscene (like at or near 50%) but if they are going to do all of the heavy lifting involved with selling my $4 find for $2000+ I might consider it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread