Heavy (faux?) ancient relief panel - name that deity!

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually skip over these things, knowing next to nothing about them, but this one caught my eye. It’s very heavy for its size — a solid 12-15lbs. There is also some clay caked into the detail of the relief, possibly indicating age / exposure. Base is solid iron and quite heavy as well. Maybe not ancient, but at least an older souvenir piece, I would guess. Can anyone identify the deity / culture / era depicted? Indian? Aztec? Egyptian?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552336504.558489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552336518.956701.jpg

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Measures 11.5x7x1.5” if that helps

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I reckon that's a modern depiction of an 'Annunaki' diety; a basterdization off tha ancient Sumerian/Zoroastrian Snake diety and tha Hindu, Buddhist, Jainism Naga (half human, half serpent) dieties. Thanks to Giorgio Tsoukalos and tha television series Ancient Aliens there has been a renewed interest in this symbolism and these can be found jest about everywhere ye find New Agers.

Sumerian Caduceus.gif

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reckon that's a modern depiction of an 'Annunaki' diety; a basterdization off tha ancient Sumerian/Zoroastrian Snake diety and tha Hindu, Buddhist, Jainism Naga (half human, half serpent) dieties. Thanks to Giorgio Tsoukalos and tha television series Ancient Aliens there has been a renewed interest in this symbolism and these can be found jest about everywhere ye find New Agers.

View attachment 1689690

Thanks for the jumping-off point — could be! I think Annunaki are quite a bit more humanoid in most cases, whatever I have has a more chimera like appearance. Will have to look into more imagery of this sort.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a naga, Hindu mythology.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552429556.780618.jpg here is the back. Looks to have been chiseled off a larger surface. Will look into Naga. Thank u

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the naga tip... found this piece on eBay — seems to be a later style, but has the same signs of forced removal on the back. Seller estimates 500-1000 years old. I wonder if the relatively crude design of mine indicates earlier period or just a different take on this type of subject.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Ca...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I will add that most naga seem to have human heads and torsos and are often accompanied by human figures... have yet to find anything that has gator / snake head and serpent body w / human torso. Also noticing my guy holding wine casks or something of the sort. Gotta keep digging...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting piece, should display nice! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552756086.185586.jpg likely from Java according to an online appraisal. Anybody know this crocodile? Now I’m intrigued...

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A member of another forum suggested it may be Champa in origin. Following this lead, I found that the creature depicted is likely some kind of Makara (hybrid sea monster). There are a couple books out there about Champa art, but my attempts to contact the authors have so far been fruitless.

Is there any way of ruling this out as a modern fake without resorting to thermoluminescence testing ($300+)? I’m very curious about this piece, but given its small size and $8-1200 ‘quick’ appraisal value, I’m wary of investing that much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread