Garage Sale Elgin Pocket Watch!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was one of my better finds yesterday when I was out hitting sales. It’s not a particularly valuable movement but in terms of how often I find pocket watches in the wild, it’s quite rare to me.

I was talking with the guy having the sale, while looking through jewelry, and he mentioned he has a pocket watch doing nothing in a drawer. He let me take a look and said make an offer. I gave him everything I had in my wallet and he accepted.

Research tells me it’s a 1890 Elgin with a Duber case, in working condition. The best part is the chain fob with the horse charm! It shows years of wear and was supposedly worn by a relative who used it every day until their death.

On a good day it might be worth 80-100 bucks but I’m keeping it for my collection. Now I just need a key to wind it up.

Attachments

• 3BC10435-9EDD-43B7-B792-71A245838DAB.jpeg
    3BC10435-9EDD-43B7-B792-71A245838DAB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 166
  • EAB5E91E-45EA-466C-B70E-297CCCA43852.jpeg
    EAB5E91E-45EA-466C-B70E-297CCCA43852.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great old watch. Wear it well

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you could find a key online fairly easy. There's a watch and clock repair not to far from where I live that got me a pocket watch key for one I had. It was new and was made of chome steel. It didn't look period, but did the job.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you could find a key online fairly easy. There's a watch and clock repair not to far from where I live that got me a pocket watch key for one I had. It was new and was made of chome steel. It didn't look period, but did the job.

I might have a spare in my collection of watches. Pocket watches are what sparked my interest in collecting and I’ve always kept anything related to them when found. Some of my fusee watches might use a key that fits the winder so I can at least test it tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice purchase, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to test the winder last night and the watch is going to need a complete service. It winds and will run for a few seconds.....then stop....then want to run again but there't too much resistance for it to overcome.

I'd happily dig into it but with it being a full plate movement, i'm nervous about pulling it apart. I'm more familiar with size 16 movement that don't have the balance cock assembly sitting above the train. Balance staffs are really delicate and i've never serviced one of these before. It might have to sit a while until i service another 18 and learn more.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really cool find Good job

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to test the winder last night and the watch is going to need a complete service. It winds and will run for a few seconds.....then stop....then want to run again but there't too much resistance for it to overcome.

I'd happily dig into it but with it being a full plate movement, i'm nervous about pulling it apart. I'm more familiar with size 16 movement that don't have the balance cock assembly sitting above the train. Balance staffs are really delicate and i've never serviced one of these before. It might have to sit a while until i service another 18 and learn more.

Go for it! It would be a good watch to practice on . I don’t think Watch makers will work on this kind of watch any longer.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! It would be a good watch to practice on . I don’t think Watch makers will work on this kind of watch any longer.

they will certainly work on them. There are just not a whole lot of clock/watch workers left in general. And for a piece like this its value is far less then what costs to repair clean and service it. I would say minimum of 120 to have her done properly, that is IF it runs and need no serious work.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm still assembling my tools for the repairs. All i need now is a cleaning solution for the parts. I'm leaning towards some simple green (in my ultrasonic) with a denatured alcohol rinse. I also need a main spring winder, correct oils and grease but they should be coming along soon.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they will certainly work on them. There are just not a whole lot of clock/watch workers left in general. And for a piece like this its value is far less then what costs to repair clean and service it. I would say minimum of 120 to have her done properly, that is IF it runs and need no serious work.

It does run, its just gunked up inside. It will run in 15-20 second bursts before stopping on its own.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still assembling my tools for the repairs. All i need now is a cleaning solution for the parts. I'm leaning towards some simple green (in my ultrasonic) with a denatured alcohol rinse. I also need a main spring winder, correct oils and grease but they should be coming along soon.

nice! i have a few sitting around i have been meaning to learn how to tear into. My set of mini screwdrivers arrived, still need a few more things.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! i have a few sitting around i have been meaning to learn how to tear into. My set of mini screwdrivers arrived, still need a few more things.

i already had the screwdrivers and ultrasonic. All i had to pick up was some watch hand removal levers, hand press, movement vise, Rodico, bronze tweezers, cleaner basket, oil, grease, etc.....

Just a few things and you are on your way lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread