Any Ray-Ban experts

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a couple of pairs of Ray-Banā€˜s at an estate sale today been trying to do some research on them that if they were genuine or not they look good to me as far as what Iā€™ve read. The one pair in picture three at the bottom is American optical 5 1/2 which I believe was made by Ray-Ban if Iā€™m correct and does anybody know of any place I can take them to an Southeast Florida to have them looked at and maybe repaired

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9173.jpg IMG_9174.jpg IMG_9175.jpg IMG_9176.jpg IMG_9177.jpg IMG_9178.jpg IMG_9179.jpg IMG_9180.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scored about six pairs of the aviator. They are etched on the lenses if after 1983 +/- 1-2 years, and if you turn them upside down they will be marked on the rim, that's the piece that sits on your nose. Shoukd ssy Ray Ban Bausch And Lomb plus size, either 58 or 62.

artslinger

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scored about six pairs of the aviator. They are etched on the lenses if after 1983 +/- 1-2 years, and if you turn them upside down they will be marked on the rim, that's the piece that sits on your nose. Shoukd ssy Ray Ban Bausch And Lomb plus size, either 58 or 62.

artslinger

When I turn them upside down it reads B & L 1/10 12k GF and I donā€™t see any other markings on them except for on the top

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a nice pair of American Optical "Original Pilot" sunglasses and some nice looking Ray Ban's in that lot.

What needs to be repaired? If you are taking about the lenses, they pop in/out with just a jewelers screwdriver. Loosen the screw and they will go right in. I've repaired many this way and lenses out is the best time to hit them with some good quality metal polish like Happich. That way you don't risk damaging the lenses.

B & L was the original parent company that provided eye wear for American pilots in the 1930s. Due to the rise in popularity, B and L offered similar glasses to the public. Ray Ban was a synonym of Anti Glare, the supposed problem the glasses were going to cure for the pilots. It later became a separate entity.

Lenses are plentiful online due to eye doctors selling factory lenses once they turn a pair into prescription sun glasses. Screws are not that hard to find and are, for the most part, standard. I usually save the gold screws from old lady glasses to do any small repairs on AO/Ray Bans since they are worth way more then just gold filled scrap.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a nice pair of American Optical "Original Pilot" sunglasses and some nice looking Ray Ban's in that lot.

What needs to be repaired? If you are taking about the lenses, they pop in/out with just a jewelers screwdriver. Loosen the screw and they will go right in. I've repaired many this way and lenses out is the best time to hit them with some good quality metal polish like Happich. That way you don't risk damaging the lenses.

B & L was the original parent company that provided eye wear for American pilots in the 1930s. Due to the rise in popularity, B and L offered similar glasses to the public. Ray Ban was a synonym of Anti Glare, the supposed problem the glasses were going to cure for the pilots. It later became a separate entity.

Lenses are plentiful online due to eye doctors selling factory lenses once they turn a pair into prescription sun glasses. Screws are not that hard to find and are, for the most part, standard. I usually save the gold screws from old lady glasses to do any small repairs on AO/Ray Bans since they are worth way more then just gold filled scrap.

Thank you for the info I tried to put the lens in but I think the frames are a little out of shape I posted it up for sale I had an offer of 150 just for the Ray-Ban light brown case I donā€™t know what is special about that case canā€™t find one with the same writing

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Operation Deep Freeze. That should tell you more.

Thank you that would explain it the sale that I got it from the gentleman was a pilot for Eastern Airlines I donā€™t think the lenses are original to this style of sunglasses from what Iā€™ve seen theyā€™ve had more of a mirror affect on the originals that might be why they seem not to be fitting properly when I try to put them in here is some of what Iā€™ve read now I just got to determine value

Bausch & Lomb through their Ray-Ban subsidiary outfitted members of the Operation Deep Freeze expedition teams with Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses since the inception of Operation Deep Freeze I in 1957-1958. One of the rarest of all sunglasses, Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses were never sold to the general public and were only made available to expedition members and the pilots who flew them in and out of Antarctica. While classically styled as Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses, Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses and their lenses had ultra high performance double gradient mirror exterior filters to deal with the extreme glare of the Arctic environment. They also had rubber sleeves on the ear stems to prevent the metal from sticking to expedition member's faces during periods of extreme cold.

Rare and vintage Bausch & Lomb Ray-Ban 12k GF Deep Freeze double gradient mirror lens sunglasses are in our opinion the very best and rarest sunglasses ever produced by Bausch & Lomb from Ray-Ban's inception in the late 1940s through 1998 when Ray-Ban was sold to Italian company Luxottica. B&L Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses were specifically designed as expedition sunglasses, only produced during the early years of the US Operation Deep Freeze missions to Antarctica. There's a story behind this pair, for they belonged to a gentlemen who had them while spending 6 months as a researcher in Antarctica in 1958. The double gradient mirrored lenses are among the rarest of any made by B&L, and if you've never seen the gradient optics and how the mirrored finish reflects even the most extreme glare then you'll be in for a treat if you buy these rare Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses. The properties of these lenses were described on an original Bausch & Lomb linen cloth describing the properties of Ray-Ban "Gradient Density Sun Glasses." Another unique feature you'll only see on authentic Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses are the rubber sleeves on both ear stems of the Deep Freeze, designed to prevent the metal frame from sticking to exposed skin in extreme cold conditions. These Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses also feature the top pearlized General bar that improves the fit and balance of the sunglasses on the face, and the double gradient density B&L mirrored lenses are in the classic teardrop aviator shape and measure approximately 2.25" x 1.875" at the widest point. The top of the nose bridge is marked on top B&L Ray-Ban USA and the bottom is marked B&L 1/10 12k GF on the bottom, all impressed in the metal of the 12k gold plated frame which measures approximately 5.5" temple to temple. These vintage 12k gold filled B&L Ray-Ban Deep Freeze sunglasses with double gradient mirrored lenses will come in the original Bausch & Lomb leather case, arguably the rarest of all vintage Ray-Bans ever produced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions