Need help with antique 10k gold mark

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize that I havenā€™t posted anything in a while. Just been busy with life but all is good. Weā€™ve been killing it at yards sales lately with gold, silver and antiques. Recently I picked up a ton of antique Victorian period unmarked jewelry that had both gold and silver items as well as some nice gold filled pieces too! This one item though has me stumped as far as the mark. Itā€™s a beautiful old brooch that tests positive as at least 10k. Three nice stones that I believe to be citrine or topaz. However, there is a makers mark on the back that I just canā€™t seem to identify. Iā€™m usually pretty good at this sort of thing but not this one. If anyone out has a clue as to what it is I would greatly appreciate it. Happy hunting!! ā˜ ļøšŸ“ ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563891177.102101.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563891202.751883.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563891220.170097.jpg

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece. I have no real idea but the mark looks kinda like a Scottish thistle, but that was used for Sterling, I think.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do great at yard sales as well silver killin it cant help with ID

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece. I have no real idea but the mark looks kinda like a Scottish thistle, but that was used for Sterling, I think.

Thanks! Yeah Iā€™m not sure what the hell it is. Iā€™ve looked up Scottish thistle. Pineapple, strawberry, etc and absolutely no luck. The mystery continues.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the stones, but they look like the same color of some loose cut stones my dad bought in Brazil that he said were topaz. He was doing business in South America in the 1960s selling herbicides and I think he smuggled these loose stones back with him at times, as I heard him tell my mom he conceal them in some way of his suit coat.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We determined that the stones were citrine and definitely 10k. I sold it to my jewelry person for $150 last week. I sold her a few other things that came with that same lot as well. I was happy!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is / was this item marked 10k ? ... or did you test it ?

In other words what made you think it was gold ?

The reason I say this is the "mixed metal" comp.

Also... these were usually glass.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is / was this item marked 10k ? ... or did you test it ?

In other words what made you think it was gold ?

The reason I say this is the "mixed metal" comp.

Also... these were usually glass.

It was an antique piece that acid test positive at 10k. A lot of early pieces werenā€™t marked. If came from a box lot of other early pieces. The pictures I took really donā€™t do it justice. And again I made some money on it. The person who bought it knows early jewelry and has a nice local antique shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread