May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the way back from an out-of-town visit I stopped at an antiques mall. I spied this trophy which was black with heavy tarnish and was dated from the 1920s. I was certain it was sterling silver based on the age and looked all over and finally found the sterling mark on the bottom. It was $40 bucks and weighs 14 ounces. It’s a citizenship award from the Texas area. It was a tough one to polish. I got it looking decent. Beachkid had just texted me just prior to say he wasn’t going to antiques malls because they always get picked over and there never is any good stuff left. Just proves that no matter where you go there is a chance there might be something there so get out there and keep looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345578.891773.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345589.740699.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345599.642424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345610.891900.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345620.507414.jpg

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried foil, baking soda, and hot water? It might not get all the tarnish off, but it sure will save a lot polishing time.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a stunner of a find!! Great job on the polishing. Definitely a keeper and not for the scrap pile. Well done JD!

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome, for some reason i like finding big silver over gold allthough gold is worth more theres just something about silver

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's gotta cool shape to it. Nice to see some things like that can still show up at antique malls, but as BK mentioned things are getting few and far between in stuff like that anymore in antique malls. My local one hasn't had any good score in a long time now. You might see weighted sterling priced at 8 times the price of scrap that no one's going for. Still I stop in to have a look, as there could be something worth way more than they're asking.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome, for some reason i like finding big silver over gold allthough gold is worth more theres just something about silver
I see your from Burlington Ontario A' there, snowdog. I used to work for a company here in the states from there called Tamrock, which is now Sandvik Mining and I was on the phone with them up there every day back in the 80s and early 90s. Today I'm regularly dealing with the folks at a company called PHQ Global from there now. Big time Canadian mining support companies from your neck of the woods for sure.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried foil, baking soda, and hot water? It might not get all the tarnish off, but it sure will save a lot polishing time.

I have not but I have used spit and foil to take the tarnish off of hammered coins over in England. I actually started with jewelry dip cleaner you get in a jar. I wet a towel with it. It gets about 90% of it off and then I have to use a polishing compound. I bought one that came with this sponge and it does an excellent job.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not but I have used spit and foil to take the tarnish off of hammered coins over in England. I actually started with jewelry dip cleaner you get in a jar. I wet a towel with it. It gets about 90% of it off and then I have to use a polishing compound. I bought one that came with this sponge and it does an excellent job.

You should try it. So simple, and it does an amazing job. Just line a bowl or dish with foil, add baking soda and very hot water. As soon as what you are cleaning hits the foil, the tarnish just starts disappearing. Like I said, you will probably still have some polishing to do on larger items, but it does cut way down on the work. You can find videos online.

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your from Burlington Ontario A' there, snowdog. I used to work for a company here in the states from there called Tamrock, which is now Sandvik Mining and I was on the phone with them up there every day back in the 80s and early 90s. Today I'm regularly dealing with the folks at a company called PHQ Global from there now. Big time Canadian mining support companies from your neck of the woods for sure.
PHQ Global is actually just a block away from me.we have done some work for some mining /drilling companies. im a tool and die maker so if you ever need anything made for you up here gimme a shout!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PHQ Global is actually just a block away from me.we have done some work for some mining /drilling companies. im a tool and die maker so if you ever need anything made for you up here gimme a shout!
That a good skill to have. I went to Sudbury once with Tamrock, Inc. Saw the big nickel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread