Sterling Trophy from 1922
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree33Likes
  • 17 Post By JimDon
  • 2 Post By GibH
  • 1 Post By captain flintlock
  • 4 Post By snowdogg70
  • 2 Post By tamrock
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 2 Post By GibH
  • 2 Post By Beachkid23
  • 1 Post By snowdogg70
  • 1 Post By tamrock

Thread: Sterling Trophy from 1922

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    4537 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Sterling Trophy from 1922

On the way back from an out-of-town visit I stopped at an antiques mall. I spied this trophy which was black with heavy tarnish and was dated from the 1920s. I was certain it was sterling silver based on the age and looked all over and finally found the sterling mark on the bottom. It was $40 bucks and weighs 14 ounces. Itís a citizenship award from the Texas area. It was a tough one to polish. I got it looking decent. Beachkid had just texted me just prior to say he wasnít going to antiques malls because they always get picked over and there never is any good stuff left. Just proves that no matter where you go there is a chance there might be something there so get out there and keep looking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345578.891773.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	865.7 KB 
ID:	1737632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345589.740699.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	809.5 KB 
ID:	1737633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345599.642424.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	751.9 KB 
ID:	1737636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345610.891900.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	744.5 KB 
ID:	1737637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564345620.507414.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	1737638
    Last edited by JimDon; Jul 28, 2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Bodkin, AARC, tamrock and 14 others like this.

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    1836 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Have you ever tried foil, baking soda, and hot water? It might not get all the tarnish off, but it sure will save a lot polishing time.
    mojjax and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Tesoro
    912 times
    Now that is a stunner of a find!! Great job on the polishing. Definitely a keeper and not for the scrap pile. Well done JD!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

ca
    Jun 2011
    burlington ontario
    2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
    137 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    thats awesome, for some reason i like finding big silver over gold allthough gold is worth more theres just something about silver

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6560 times
    Metal Detecting
    Another great find, JimDon! Good eye!

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17767 times
    That's gotta cool shape to it. Nice to see some things like that can still show up at antique malls, but as BK mentioned things are getting few and far between in stuff like that anymore in antique malls. My local one hasn't had any good score in a long time now. You might see weighted sterling priced at 8 times the price of scrap that no one's going for. Still I stop in to have a look, as there could be something worth way more than they're asking.
    JimDon and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17767 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdogg70 View Post
    thats awesome, for some reason i like finding big silver over gold allthough gold is worth more theres just something about silver
    I see your from Burlington Ontario A' there, snowdog. I used to work for a company here in the states from there called Tamrock, which is now Sandvik Mining and I was on the phone with them up there every day back in the 80s and early 90s. Today I'm regularly dealing with the folks at a company called PHQ Global from there now. Big time Canadian mining support companies from your neck of the woods for sure.
    JimDon likes this.

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    4537 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibH View Post
    Have you ever tried foil, baking soda, and hot water? It might not get all the tarnish off, but it sure will save a lot polishing time.
    I have not but I have used spit and foil to take the tarnish off of hammered coins over in England. I actually started with jewelry dip cleaner you get in a jar. I wet a towel with it. It gets about 90% of it off and then I have to use a polishing compound. I bought one that came with this sponge and it does an excellent job.

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    1836 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDon View Post
    I have not but I have used spit and foil to take the tarnish off of hammered coins over in England. I actually started with jewelry dip cleaner you get in a jar. I wet a towel with it. It gets about 90% of it off and then I have to use a polishing compound. I bought one that came with this sponge and it does an excellent job.
    You should try it. So simple, and it does an amazing job. Just line a bowl or dish with foil, add baking soda and very hot water. As soon as what you are cleaning hits the foil, the tarnish just starts disappearing. Like I said, you will probably still have some polishing to do on larger items, but it does cut way down on the work. You can find videos online.
    JimDon and Beans like this.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4478 times
    Moral of the story: donít listen to me!
    JimDon and Greastart like this.

ca
    Jun 2011
    burlington ontario
    2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
    137 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    I see your from Burlington Ontario A' there, snowdog. I used to work for a company here in the states from there called Tamrock, which is now Sandvik Mining and I was on the phone with them up there every day back in the 80s and early 90s. Today I'm regularly dealing with the folks at a company called PHQ Global from there now. Big time Canadian mining support companies from your neck of the woods for sure.
    PHQ Global is actually just a block away from me.we have done some work for some mining /drilling companies. im a tool and die maker so if you ever need anything made for you up here gimme a shout!
    tamrock likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17767 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdogg70 View Post
    PHQ Global is actually just a block away from me.we have done some work for some mining /drilling companies. im a tool and die maker so if you ever need anything made for you up here gimme a shout!
    That a good skill to have. I went to Sudbury once with Tamrock, Inc. Saw the big nickel
    snowdogg70 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    26923 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice find!

Sponsored Links