Race Car 1960s or 70s what?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, I apologize for posting here, but this is my go-to forum. I live in a spring fed lake community. Across from me there are a lot of nice houses, except one right across from me. That house looks to be still from the 1960s or early 70s. I mean it sticks out. Well, several weeks ago, I was dumpster diving, and I drove through the street where this house is located at. As I was driving, I saw many boxes on the curb, and I began to open them. Inside were all of these original photographs. I wanted to ask the group if anybody can identify the type of car this is? The plate says Florida 73, but I cannot find a single decal indicating make and model. Could this have been a kit car? Your comments and feedback are always and truly appreciated. Thank you.

artslinger

20190922_214522.jpg 20190922_214533.jpg 20190922_214526.jpg 20190922_214548.jpg

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ford GT-40 -very rare and awesome car. In my top 5. Amazing find. There are kit cars around now, but I doubt there were in 73, I have a feeling that's a real GT-40. Read the race history on these- Amazing.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just about to post Ford-GT. Great pics! That car was NOT cheap when that guy got it. Can’t believe they would throw those away!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both, I appreciate it. I questioned my "kit" assumption, but it makes perfect sense that there were no kits back then. They did throw them away. They were individually wrapped in boxes with a lot of those peanuts for protection and Styrofoam. I doubt that that gentleman is still alive, but hi's family might still live there. I'll drive around the house from time to time, and see if I can strike up a conversation, and ask about the pics. Thanks again, I truly appreciate it, as always.

arslinger.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic in the lower left corner, that looks like it’s somewhat in color, is probably a Le Mans GT-40 race car. That color scheme (light teal and orange) was what they used on the race cars.

I wonder if he had some connection to Gulf or Ford Racing. If you get a name you might be able to find out.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Original cost was about 5000 pounds in the 60s: they were first made in England. That was about enough to buy a house then.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "3" on the license plate puts it in Hillsborough county. That's all I got...

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a good look at the GT-40s story, this November :)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Good post, RTR. The movie coming out will give you the whole picture on these cars built to beat Ferrari, successfully.

The 2004 through 2006 Ford GT's (200k new and now worth double)and the new Ford GT's (400k new and you have to be someone to get the option of purchasing)are a continuation of these cars.

Cool dumpster finds!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic in the lower left corner, that looks like it’s somewhat in color, is probably a Le Mans GT-40 race car. That color scheme (light teal and orange) was what they used on the race cars.

I wonder if he had some connection to Gulf or Ford Racing. If you get a name you might be able to find out.

You are correct. The rest of the pics are black and white, but that one is collor, and I can see that light teal and orange color scheme. Great eye.

artslinger

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn't happen to have an old boarded up garage, would they?

Thanks again to all. I sincerely appreciate it. I do not see a boarded garage, only the garage in front of the house. Going by there again tonight for a little more dumpster diving. :-)

artslinger

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, RTR. The movie coming out will give you the whole picture on these cars built to beat Ferrari, successfully.

The 2004 through 2006 Ford GT's (200k new and now worth double)and the new Ford GT's (400k new and you have to be someone to get the option of purchasing)are a continuation of these cars.

Cool dumpster finds!

You can't beat Basic , RAW, Primitive, Power,period ....The Ford GT-40 Whooped them(Ferrari) not 1,or 2, years in a row but... (4)... FOUR years in a row.:occasion14:
Watch the movie :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GT40_at_Goodwood.jpg
You Be the judge. To me this looks very correct. The vintage photos themselves have value especially if you can find out who the guy is in the photos and if he was any part of the racing team.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find that card worth some big bucks if it still exists

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched a Barret Jackson auction on the MotorTrend Channel sell this newer one for 1.54 million. The guy that got it, bought a few high dollar cars. Man! should of, would of could of, is all I can look back on with some of the cars I wished I bought cheap after the oil embargo days. Never one of these gt 40 though, but one opportunity I had was a Plymouth Superbird for $1200 in around 1974. Quite a few muscle cars were available cheap back then. To do my part at conserving gas was, I bought a Karmann Ghia. At least it was a thrill to drive on the snow. Then I could pass everyone going slow in their Delta 88's with snow tires on the back and sand bags in the trunk.

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
I've had opportunities at old cars as well, but the one that sticks in my mind the most is a 1968 Shelby GT 500 that was offered for $19,000. It was in barn-find condition from Columbus GA and I thought the seller was nuts for asking that much. Another car was a 1965 Mustang K-Code in great condition in Thomasville, GA that an individual wanted $4500. Oh well...those days are long gone!

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can trace the car to the previous owner and if it still exists the new owner would want these. Especially if the house you got them from is the same as the pics. Take a 2019 shot to go with them. Collectors love stuff like that. Especially ones w a lot of money

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread