Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is variation in weight for coins - even for the same date in the same grade. I'd expect less variation among a group of Englehard bars than a group of coins and suspect your observed slight overage is either within the range, or a measurement error by your scale.

If they were mine, i would not be suspicious of their authenticity. It is not clear if the exposure to oils from the skin or atmospheric contamination leading to the tarnish/toning added weight - but I would also not clean them.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
a couple of items:

the OP's scale has only 0.1 gm resolution, not 6 digits; consider how the scale rounds the last shown digit
the indicated weight is over by 0.2 gm, seems a lot for tarnish (agreed do not clean)
using Morgan dollars as test weights (known tolerances), the OP's scale seems fine (given the resolution exact even)

I have not been able to find Engelhard's tolerances for 1 oz bars, their art bars seem to be 0.03 to 0.04 gm light
-> no new bar is overweight (the tolerances will not be set in such a fashion)

they are reading heavy, a better informed opinion based on tests would be appropriate

I used to make heat sinks from silver art bars, and had scales with ridiculous resolution - and I never saw a heavy bar.

OP
OP
D

Deadaman

Jul 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, so why are the 4 bars the same amount overweight ?

I do not know the weight tolerance, but other sites report 0.03-4 gm underweight art bars - none overweight.

edit: ping

So far I’ve cleaned one of the bars with a polish, and I haven’t weighed it yet. I suspect the added weight is just tarnish, thought it could be anything. I’ll also be taking them in today if the weight doesn’t change.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
aiiiii, ok
I would be most surprised if there is a change in weight

you might leave the others as they are

let them test the cleaned one, no loss

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I’ve cleaned one of the bars with a polish, and I haven’t weighed it yet. I suspect the added weight is just tarnish, thought it could be anything. I’ll also be taking them in today if the weight doesn’t change.

Those are great finds. I work in a lab with scales every day weighing things to 4-6 decimal places out for scientific assays and experiments. The weight of the tarnish is next to nothing for anything you would be concerned about. Most scales that people use at home can be off +- a 1/2 gram or so. I really wouldn’t be concerned if they are fake unless they fail miserably with an acid test or electronic test. They look pretty darn real too me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadaman

Jul 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. I work in a lab with scales every day weighing things to 4-6 decimal places out for scientific assays and experiments. The weight of the tarnish is next to nothing for anything you would be concerned about. Most scales that people use at home can be off +- a gram is so. I really wouldn’t be concerned if they are fake unless they fail miserably with an acid test or electronic test. They look pretty darn real too me.

After the polish the bar did drop by .1 gram, so I do believe they are real.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deadaman... again... I will just state....

your bars are real.

It seems hard for you to believe.. but like I originally posted... they are.

OP
OP
D

Deadaman

Jul 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deadaman... again... I will just state....

your bars are real.

It seems hard for you to believe.. but like I originally posted... they are.

Just to settle it, I finally got them tested, they are real.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure? Maybe you should get a second opinion, I think you should, you should drive two counties over in any direction and then have them checked.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe them to be real! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good buy they look very real and englehardt bars fetch much more than spot

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure they are real. $70 is just about spot price.
Fair deal? Absolutely..
Great deal? No.
Silver will go up. Hang on to them.
You can always do a specific gravity test. You Tube is your friend there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good deal I collect those and apmex and mattheus the older engelhardt seem to bring much more than spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread