Early silver help?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help Id this maker? I’ve exhausted my resources on this. It’s listed on eBay now..

IMG_3623.jpg IMG_3625.jpg IMG_3630.jpg IMG_3629.jpg IMG_3628.jpg IMG_3627.jpg IMG_3626.jpg IMG_3625.jpg IMG_3624.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece! :occasion14:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y’all! If you could check that book out tomorrow, I DO have a second of the same thing!![emoji15][emoji12]

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click on the link in my comment above. I believe it may be Amos Munson. The timeline is right for that style of spoon. 1760’s - 1780.

Last edited:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y’all! If you could check that book out tomorrow, I DO have a second of the same thing!![emoji15][emoji12]

I worked solid all day and didn't take a look, tomorrow at noon I'll be finished.

I'm 99% sure I'll be able to match that up.

The problem so far is that the marks I was trying to look up weren't old enough.

About one inch of this book is hallmarks,..... like this,.....

English, Scottish, Irish, makers marks
German makers marks
French makers marks
European makers marks.
Etc.

Page after page after page

Any idea where that piece hails from?

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We researched British hallmarks and it was missing other identifiers according to who done the research.. I personally think American but I’m no expert!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We researched British hallmarks and it was missing other identifiers according to who done the research.. I personally think American but I’m no expert!

🤦 Is my post above with a provided link not viewable? It’s not British, Scottish or Irish. If it were, there would be other hallmarks to go with it. It’s an early American piece. Amos Munson from New Haven Ct. stylistically it also matches that time period.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
臘 Is my post above with a provided link not viewable? It’s not British, Scottish or Irish. If it were, there would be other hallmarks to go with it. It’s an early American piece. Amos Munson from New Haven Ct. stylistically it also matches that time period.

Link is fine & it looks like Amos Munson is a strong possibility.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked all the American hallmarks, as luck would have it Amos Munson shows a blank.

I checked all the "A's" and all the "M's", no luck here.

Hallmarks.JPG

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked all the American hallmarks, as luck would have it Amos Munson shows a blank.

I checked all the "A's" and all the "M's", no luck here.

View attachment 1771636

Yeah I saw that too in one of my books. My go-to website has three examples of his mark. That tells me he had multiple punches and they are all different. I don’t think he was a prominent silversmith and I don’t see a lot of his work out there online. I do find it odd that he marked the top of the spoon rather than the back. It could have been a practice piece but who really knows at this point. Part of the mystery and history! I collect this stuff and have for several years now. Without seeing it in front of me, I’d still say that it’s a period piece worthy of any collection of early coin silver.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was drawn to them, they were part of a display of jadeite and silverplate shell spoons-picked them up and clanked them against the jadeite to see if there was a sound difference vs the plated stuff and there was so I bought the pair of them for not much investment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread