May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a church sale which was one of the best ones around my area. I went straight to the jewelry and another guy with a loop was digging through it. I ended up pulling five bags of sterling for a dollar each nothing special along with 2 quartz watches. I then noticed on top of the stage they had a special area which they called the boutique and you had to check your items. I gave my five bags of Sterling along with the 2 quartz watches and the lady clothes pinned them together in the gold area. I went up to the boutique and was followed by the guy with the loop that was looking at the jewelry with me. I didn’t see anything so I left and searched the rest of the sale for Sterling and other stuff. I remembered I had to go back for my stuff in when I did my two Watches were there but the bags of jewelry were gone. The elderly lady there said she didn’t know what happened and I am certain the guy with the loop took them. I was pissed because I wasted 30 minutes going through the jewelry to find the five pieces. Upset I left and there was 1 yard sale in about a 10 mile radius and I decided to stop there. Everything was in boxes and I started digging through and found a bag with two watches in it. I could see immediately one was a chronograph and I told the lady I gave her $20. Turns out it’s a 1940s Delbana. I don’t believe it’s ever been serviced and I’m gonna start on it in a few minutes. Turns out the owner was her dad and he was an engineer who designed the wings of the B52 bomber. Very cool. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581262282.419818.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581262293.315766.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice catch. Anything vintage chrono or diver is a score for sure. Yours is a great looking piece. That guy was a real piece or work! It happened to me as well about a year ago. I was too embarrassed to post it. :-) I was rushing to a community sale, and out of the blue I see a church rummage sale. They were barely setting up, but nobody said anything to me about being there. Before the cavalry arrived, I was able to buy some jewelry, and some vintage, and in pristine condition Tonka and Buddy L toys. These were the cast iron or pressed steel ones. I had everything in a plastic bag, and walked to a table that had a box with the word "free" on it. It was a hand painted plate and saucer set. I asked the lady if I may have it, and she said sure. I then put the bag inside the box. Instead of taking it to my car, and coming back, I put the box by a tree next to a lady that was responsible for a table. My last words to her were, "please do not let anybody take my box". Her final last words were, "I'll guard it with my life". I then walked about 100 feed away to another table, realized my stupidity, came back, and to my disbelief the box was nowhere to be found.

It had been stolen. I asked the lady why would she allow anybody to take it, and her response was that the person indicated to her that it had been paid for it. She told me that she thought that that person was with me. I quickly stormed to the parking lot, after she described him to me, but the sob was long gone. I knew better, but since we were in a church, I didn't believe that anybody would have the audacity to steel anything. Boy was I wrong. I should have posted this story, it could have saved you from this. Hopefully it will save someone in the future.

artslinger

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on a great find keep em coming I need to study watches a little more many people dont know what a good watch is from a junk one especially the sellers lol Well done Tommy

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice catch. Anything vintage chrono or diver is a score for sure. Yours is a great looking piece. That guy was a real piece or work! It happened to me as well about a year ago. I was too embarrassed to post it. :-) I was rushing to a community sale, and out of the blue I see a church rummage sale. They were barely setting up, but nobody said anything to me about being there. Before the cavalry arrived, I was able to buy some jewelry, and some vintage, and in pristine condition Tonka and Buddy L toys. These were the cast iron or pressed steel ones. I had everything in a plastic bag, and walked to a table that had a box with the word "free" on it. It was a hand painted plate and saucer set. I asked the lady if I may have it, and she said sure. I then put the bag inside the box. Instead of taking it to my car, and coming back, I put the box by a tree next to a lady that was responsible for a table. My last words to her were, "please do not let anybody take my box". Her final last words were, "I'll guard it with my life". I then walked about 100 feed away to another table, realized my stupidity, came back, and to my disbelief the box was nowhere to be found.

It had been stolen. I asked the lady why would she allow anybody to take it, and her response was that the person indicated to her that it had been paid for it. She told me that she thought that that person was with me. I quickly stormed to the parking lot, after she described him to me, but the sob was long gone. I knew better, but since we were in a church, I didn't believe that anybody would have the audacity to steel anything. Boy was I wrong. I should have posted this story, it could have saved you from this. Hopefully it will save someone in the future.

artslinger

I’ve actually had people come up to me at estate sales when I’m carrying things to say oh that was theirs and I had picked it up. I always gave it back but I’m gonna be playing hard line now.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after six hours of working on a corroded movement I was able to get it running at least the watch part. I didn’t realize it was missing the driving wheel. i’ll pick one up on eBay and the chronograph should function. I don’t know if you can see that the plates are calcified or something and I had to file them down. It ain’t pretty but it is running. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581291881.561623.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Vintage mechanical 2 reg. chronograph with a black dial. Can't get much better than that. :icon_thumright:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome work as always!! I plan on learning to service watches in the next month or so. One thing though, what happened to the big hunk of Radium that fell off the minute hand? Be careful!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome work as always!! I plan on learning to service watches in the next month or so. One thing though, what happened to the big hunk of Radium that fell off the minute hand? Be careful!!

It was in my tray. Going to remove it and relume the hands when the drive wheel comes in. PM me if you want pointers and I’ll give you my cell.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find Don! I have never tackled a Chrono too many pieces for me!!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find Don! I have never tackled a Chrono too many pieces for me!!

Actually the Landeron 48 it’s not too difficult. There’s a five part YouTube video I watched him walk you through the process that is
real good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread