Signed original artwork

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Attended an estate sale a few months ago and acquired a few fun relics.
Best find was a Mitchell Spinning reel that may turn out to be a Pre-300, as in a 1940's model before it was named and mass produced.
This, a few bamboo fly rods, an end fed Red Ryder, were the takes of the day.
I though...

I had also bought a full stack of Art frame mats (the colored squares that are cut to fill the space between the frame and the art, to protect the edges of the art.) for $3.00 total. The bunch was 30+ uncut and a few cut. Most are 30"X40" and turn out to be top branded Conservation and Museum grade linen and such worth between $10 and $70 each!
So, this was the take of the day, I though...

Two months later, I decide I need a crème colored mat and go to search the pile- and discover one of the cut mats still taped to backer with a drawing framed in it!!!
The drawing- turns out to be a signed original, never reproduced, dated 1959 and unknown to the world. It also has a note from the artist to his brother on the back. The artist was Robert Freimark. A World Renowned artist, with a host of abstract work ranging from late 1950's to 2009.
Art being art, value is subjective and not known till the check is cashed, but, of all the museums and galleries that hold his pieces around the world, the Hohmann Gallery ( https://www.hohmann.art/freimark ) has a number of works listed in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. Example "Night Writer" below.
I've had another representative tell me, as an early signed original it should bring, at a min 15-20k, at a decent auction. Then again, I've seen prints for $200 other places...
One thing I did learn was that the Provenance is very short! Artist - Brother - Me. The estate sale was of COL. Gaillard Freimark, who, by the way, was a very respected local that ran an art framing and photography shop before the digital era...
As I said, Art is subjective, so value or a $3.00 accidental purchase could be $20k, or not... So this may be the take of the day!

Either way - I think it's a really nifty piece!

KP by Robert Freimark 1959  1.jpg Freimark 59 signature.jpg Freimark Backing 1.jpg Night Writer Robert Freimark.jpg

Attachments

• KP by Robert Freimark 1959  2.jpg
    KP by Robert Freimark 1959 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions