Button Tin Find - Dental Gold +

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while ago I posted a small 10K gold initial that I found in a button tin. Recent button purchases and sorting has yielded more gold. A fraternity pin that I can't find any gold marks on but it definitely has age and that look. I'll take some photos and post later.

Meanwhile I found my first dental gold! Also, a dark metal tooth. Very heavy for its size. What would that have been made of?
IMG_4555.jpeg IMG_4562.jpg IMG_4559.jpg IMG_4558.jpg

Also found a small 1/2" unknown ornate heart that revealed a hidden karat mark - 14K just under top of back attachment. I can't figure out how to get the back off. It looks like a snap but it doesn't come off easily and I don't want to break anything.
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_4580.jpeg

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The ornate heart is a buckle for a vintage/antique ribbon strap for a watch. The 2 round things you see on the heart are part of the back piece that friction fits to keep the 2 halves together. They sell for a premium over melt. I've never seen one that was heart shaped. The few that have passed through my hands were all rectangular or square.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a vampire tooth.

Unfortunately ... the pin IMO is not gold.

They always are marked if so... some of them look and feel so good... but never are.

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ornate heart is a buckle for a vintage/antique ribbon strap for a watch. The 2 round things you see on the heart are part of the back piece that friction fits to keep the 2 halves together. They sell for a premium over melt. I've never seen one that was heart shaped. The few that have passed through my hands were all rectangular or square.

Thanks for the info! I thought it had to be a buckle/clasp of sorts. With all the sewing stuff I go through it sure looked like a tiny buckle! Is this piece considered half of the buckle? Or is this complete and the two pieces are supposed to come apart to put the watch on an off? EDIT: Found it! This is the adjustment piece, so it is complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They always are marked if so... some of them look and feel so good... but never are.

I was afraid of that...well, if I can figure out the Fraternity/Sorority info maybe someone would still want it. It's Chi Pi, which I'm having a hard time finding any 2 letter Greek houses. Most seem to be 3 so what I'm finding are 3 letter houses that have Chi or Pi in them.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I'm going to have to disagree. I've found several unmarked fraternity/sorority pins that tested positive for gold on my electronic tester.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some very nice stuff, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting